
I've been reading a bunch of the "weirdness" memes going around, and although I am not particularly interested in divulging a list of my quirks, one that came immediately to mind that isn't too embarrassing is my extreme dislike for shopping. Sure the odd browse through a thrift store or stationary store is enjoyable (in fact I have I great love of stationary shops- all those pens! and notebooks! and folders and binders and day timers and paperclips... okay, maybe this is another weird thing...) but I despise shopping for things that I need, especially clothing. And if it is in a shop that has attentive and helpful salespeople that want to tell me about their product or comment on how great I look in an outfit I'm trying on, well, I'd rather gauge out my eyeballs with a spoon. But one exception to this (besides that aforementioned stationary and thrift shopping) is books. Especially kids books. I can accumulate kids books like nothing else. And though spending 25$ on a shirt is physically painful, this doesn't seem like much for a picture book. So its no wonder that bookshelves factor largely into our home reno plans.
One of my favorite bloggers started doing reviews of kids books recently which I have been enjoying greatly (oh good! more books to covet and long for!) and when I recently picked up this book at my local bookstore I decided I would have to jump in and do a review of it because it is just so great and needs to be known. After doing an internet search I was not surprised to find that I am not the only one who thinks this book is wonderful.
One of my favorite bloggers started doing reviews of kids books recently which I have been enjoying greatly (oh good! more books to covet and long for!) and when I recently picked up this book at my local bookstore I decided I would have to jump in and do a review of it because it is just so great and needs to be known. After doing an internet search I was not surprised to find that I am not the only one who thinks this book is wonderful.
Sunny by Robin Mitchell and Judith Steedman is part of a series of books that uses bendy dolls, simple household objects and wonderful collage to create a hip and magical landscape. Pencils become telephone poles, doodles on black paper are chalk drawings, a ruler and empty wooded spool become a see-saw. I've not read the other titles in the series but this one is decidedly urban, which is a nice change from our usual reads. Sunny wanders around the city enjoying the noises he finds and decides to have a hootenanny with all his friends making their own clanging, rattling stomping music. The book also comes with a ten song CD full of fun upbeat kid songs with one rowdy tune by Veda Hille's kid band Duplex! whose CD we own and love.Ari and I danced around to the tunes and I dreamed of crafting up some bendy collaging goodness. I look plan to try to track down the rest of the books in this series, Windy, Snowy and Chinook, and Gail.
Hello again! About the header problem #2. I had to go into my template and set a specified size for my header, here is what the code looks like, although I use a different template than the one you are using:
ReplyDelete@media all {
#header {
width:800px;
height:160px;
background:url("http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/pinkvintageprincess/twigheadertryagain3-1.jpg") no-repeat;
margin-top: -20px;
padding: 0px 0 8px;
color:#000000;
}
It is that width and height bit that helped stop that cutting off the photo problem. Once you have set a parameter for the header, then you can use any number of photo programs to try and adjust the picture you are using before you upload it to something like photobucket.
If you look at my header versus the original photo inside the blog (It would be in the December archives), you will see I do have some distortion still. I think the only way to completely solve the problem is to use either photoshop or be a great photographer who can stage a photo that can be that size without distortion.
I hope that helps a little, let me know if you need more help!
Woohooo! You made it work! It looks terrific.
ReplyDeletethank you so much again. I couldn't have gotten it up without your help. Now I'm dreaming of a whole revamp of the template...
ReplyDelete