Tuesday, September 25, 2007

puzzles

Just plowing along here. The combination of being out out of our home (we are still waiting for the contractors to start the work,) and both of us working more than usual has been a little tough, though we are enjoying what we are doing. The little girl I am homeschooling is leaving next week for a two week trip with her family, and I am looking forward to a bit of time to think and plan. Usually it is recommended for Enki teachers and parents to take a good chunk of the summer to work through the year plan, but I had just a couple of days! So I have been flying by the seat of my pants, and struggling with the district requirements, which want me to report and prove every darn thing we are doing- with much more scrutiny and in far more detail than if I was teaching a whole class!
But it really is such a great opportunity to work through this curriculum I love and to keep those teacher parts of my brain functioning. I am giving some thought to the idea of starting a homeschooling co-op, something I had put on the back burner, but which lots of parents have expressed interest in. I don't think the amount of work would change much with a few more kids, especially if I share it with a couple moms. But I can't even let myself think of such things until our house is done and we are moved back in. Please, please, let us get in before the snow flies.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are really enjoying it, despite the bureaucracy. I have a friend who homeschools her three children and the school district gives her a very hard time about the details. I think, unfortunately, that the public school districts disapprove of homeshooling or maybe feel threatened by it or maybe they just don't "get it". I put my daughter in preschool this year for just a several hours a week and I purposely chose one that stresses the creative side but even I'm wondering if I would prefer to homeschool. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you are doing is amazing. I can't wait to see where your homeschooling consultant work goes. You've also made me very curious about Enki.

    Also, I think I'll get a set of those tiles (are they called tangrams?) for our family. They look like fun.

    Here are some vibes for you ~~in before the snow~~~~in before the snow~~~in before the snow~~~~
    I hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love tangrams too! And I love the idea of a co-op school. You are such a gifted teacher. Hope your house is (started) done soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great plan you have!

    Good luck with it and with your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    It sounds like you are enjoying your newest role! I am glad. It does sound like a great experience for both you and the girl you are teaching, I don't know much about the Enki system but the little I do know seems positive!

    I also hope that the house is finished soon and that you and your family can be safely settled before winter sets in!

    I am having a great time in Colorado - what a beautiful place! My blog will be full before long!

    ReplyDelete