The busy season seems to have slowed down a little finally- we spent our first day fully at home yesterday, perhaps since we moved back in. When we come home Ari says "home!" and "happy!" and we know we need to spend more time just being here. And home is good. There are still many projects on the go- yesterday we grouted the entryway tiles and installed a ceiling fan and there are corners of the house that still look like construction zones (the bathtub is as likely to have a bucket of mortar inside it as it is to hold bath toys.) But we are settling in slowly, and feeling pretty excited to have this beautiful new space to call our own. Above is a small corner of it, the green wall and the Charlie Brown tree to compliment the sparse space. And Ari got some new digs for Christmas too, that barnhouse (as he calls it) was his big present from many of his loved ones. He especially likes sliding the animals down the roof- "weeeee!"
We spent a few days at a little cabin on a lake after Christmas with my side of the family. It was a lovely little getaway, and the cabins were great (though that outhouse seat was rather chilly!) and my mom brought enough food to feed a few armies. Luckily the cabin owners showed up to shuttle some things over the 2.5km trail or we might have been a little less excited by all the trifles and fondue pots and homemade perogies.We were able to partake in another sleigh ride this year too, this time with a few other friends with toddlers. Ari loved it and it really is a magical trip. The huge horses pull the sleigh through the snow-covered trees to a little cabin with a outdoor fire and cider waiting. A good holiday tradition to continue.
Ari has been playing with his wooden horses since the ride, galloping them around saying "pullin' pullin'" and "horsey eat." While we were sitting and drinking cider Ari and his buddy made a beeline for the horses feet, scaring their mamas half to death.
This picture looks an awful lot like this one from last year. He's wearing the same snowsuit -only this year he has boots instead of elastic bands holding the feet closed! I wonder if we'll be able to get another years sleigh ride picture out of the suit?
Perry and I celebrated New Years separately this year. He took Ari to a toddler-friendly fondue party at some friends and I went out to a dance with my sister. We all had lots of fun at our respective shindigs, and spent much of the next day having family naps and hanging out in our PJ's which is a good way to start the year I think.
And now, off to do laundry and wipe the tile grout out of the bathtub. Happy New Year!
ETA: Thank you all for the lovely comments about Sammy and our move back in. It's sort of like having my own personal cheering section with all your sweet words. I appreciate it a great deal. Cheers!
Happy New Year!! It sounds like you had a lovely time - I would love to go on a sleigh ride in the snow! I can just imagine it being like Jingle Bells - did you know that was the first song played from space!
ReplyDeleteHope that 2008 in your new home brings love, joy and happiness to you and yours!
Fabulous photos! I found your blog from a comment you left on saltandchocolate. You suond like you've had a busy time with your home...wishing you good times in it for 2008 and on. I have a little one (2yrs 3mths) who likes to say 'home' when we've been busy elsewhere. It makes me smile! How old is Ari? The photo of him wrapped up with rosy cheeks is adorable!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year.
It looks like you have had such a delightful holiday. I love Ari's new "barnhouse"--hope you are continuing to settle in nicely.
ReplyDeleteI like your Charlie Brown tree, it's cute!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a lovely time! Some great photos - what gorgeous scenery. I wish I had the opportunity for a sleigh ride in the snow!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I tagged you - check out my blog.