Saturday, January 12, 2008

of potties and baby toys

Oh dear potty bear, make room for us, we all have sore tummies and need that spot rather often (okay, us big folks use the larger version. And the baby who was nearly potty trained before this, now rarely makes it to this spot. But you should keep it clear just in case.) Our lab results will be back in a few days, but the doctor says water borne illness. We are not particularly surprised given that our water comes straight from a nearby creek but we are mad at ourselves for not taking better care with what passes our lips- especially the baby's lips. When we told the doctor how we had been treating our water- by bringing it to a boil- he said "oh, you were just warming up the bugs." Hmm.

We had been hauling our water from town, but started getting freaked out about it sitting in plastic for so long, and so we started boiling our creek water. We are back to hauling it, but found glass water jugs at the local U-Brew, and a ceramic dispenser and now our water is plastic and bacteria free. Our guts are mostly bacteria free too by now after a few days of natural remedies prescribed by our naturopath. We are hoping to avoid the antibiotics if we can, but getting the nasty tasting grapefruit seed extract into Ari is a little challenging. Today's attempt was mixing it with honey and cinnamon on toast which went down pretty well. He's got to wonder why his parents have got from hard-core sweet avoiders to cheering on the eating of honey and drinking of juice, but he's not arguing.

And he's doing some cooking of his own, these wooden eggs from my hardware store find are a great hit. They cook up nicely and roll well across the kitchen floor.
The gnomes, whose wooden forms came from the same store, are also played with a bunch. I got the idea for dressing them from Amanda, and they turned out super cute. We've got tons on the go right now- finishing up our porch, the ongoing sorting and unpacking and lots of crafty projects for the newest crop of new babies and their older siblings. But this computer is still in the big house and the camera has been neglected, so blogging isn't top priority right now. But once the computer is settled over at the "new" house- oh what a good blogger I will be then!

7 comments:

  1. Good wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope you all are well soon. I'm impressed that you are such solid sweets avoiders that the baby rarely even tastes juice! Wow, that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that you have all been sick! I wish you a quick return to full health!

    I love the idea of the wooden eggs! My friend's little girl got a kitchen for her Christmas and I said I would look out for some food! Wooden eggs sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, sounds awful. I hope it clears up soon for you. I can imagine that it's hard to get grapefruit seed extract into a little one, It's hard for me to swallow it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you all are feeling well soon. When we lived in Alaska, we called it beaver fever. Somehow the cute name doesn't help.
    We use a multi-pure filter on our spring water it gets out EVERYTHING, even as small as giradia.
    Oregano Oil might be an alternative to Grapefruit seed extract, it wouldn't be easier for your kidlet, but it's a must have for a house hold I think. It's anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-microbial. We have even used it when our cat was wounded.
    Anyway...thought I'd pass that on.
    Feel Better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope you feel better soon! poor ari... maybe stirring it into cream of wheat or oatmeal with some honey and dried fruit? still doesn't subtract the honey, but might add to the range of grapefruit-extract-eating options. The eggs are fantastic. I just love the encouragement for living well i get from your blog (minus the sickness, I do hope it goes away soon)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tummy trouble is awful when you have children. Your pictures are lovely though, as usual. Now I'll appreciate our good tap water even more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man :( It's so hard to be sick like that with a little one to care for. My heart goes out to you and I hope you have a very speedy recovery.

    Cute gnomes, thanks for the shout-out :) I love the contrast stitching. Looks very cute!!

    ReplyDelete