Friday, February 08, 2008

new studio

Though there is still much to do, I now have a crafting space to call my own. It is tiny, about 4 ft by 10 ft, and is at the top of the stairs, so it does not have a door to close (though a baby gate was a first priority,) but it is lovely and bright and mine, all mine. I am not anywhere near unpacked or organized, but I have most of my fabrics out and my machine set up and I am feeling positively gleeful about it all.There is enough shelf space to sort my fabic into colour! Oh the sweet simple joys. My very first project was to make two little pincushions. Someone mentioned (Melissa I think...) in a past comment that their child could remain entertained for ages by moving pins from one cushion to another, so I had to give it a try. Ari certainly does take an interest in all important adult activities, especially those involving tools that are sharp or "poety" (pokey.)
They are a very big hit. This is serious work this pin moving business. And if one of them hits the floor? Oh! Quick! He is on it in a flash.
He thinks mama's sewing room is so terrific in fact, that he stands at the bottom of the stairs shouting "sewin', sewin'!" until I come running. We climb the stairs together and I open the baby gate and he goes and finds his pin cushions. When he tires of this he climbs up on my lap and we sew together. He counts me in when ever the machine stops - "two, free, go!" and then cheers on my work- "yeah!" and "fast sewin' mama!"
Such a helpful guy. Maybe one day I'll actually spend some minutes sewing without a baby on my lap. Didn't I say this room was all mine? Ha! I guess there isn't really such a thing as a mama. But I am finding this kind of room sharing to be a good deal of fun, even if my seams are a little wobbly.

5 comments:

  1. We have the same hobbies here! My boy (2 years yesterday!) loves pins and pin cushions. And sewing on my lap. But he also likes pushing the buttons on my sewing machine, changing straight stitch into zig zag all of a sudden. Oh dear. He has started saying: "Mummee working" when I sew. Hooray! Someone finally understands it's serious work. But don't you feel bad pushing sharp pins into innocent matryoshkas and bunny rabbits...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how beautiful for you!! someday i hope to have a similar space. and its lovely that Ari can be so supportive hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, sweet boy! i love the "fast sewin' mama" - you are probably an absolute goddess in his eyes. Woman can use pokey things like it's no big thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful post! your sewing area looks magical. i have a little one too, but i love it.
    i'm so glad ari enjoys the pin-moving thing. he is such a special boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you!! I too am going to get a small and narrow crafting space--hopefully by summer's end. I'm so excited.

    ReplyDelete