Thursday, September 10, 2009

hello autumn

Hello Autumn. You always take me by surprise. Summer slips by a green raucous blur, and then suddenly there is that smell in the air, the bright yellow flags of a few leaves turning, the sound of birds leaving for warmer places, and I feel both pleased and nostalgic. Can you be here already? I'm never quite ready for your arrival, yet your visit never seems long enough. We pull out the sweaters and woolly hats, gather those first leaves like treasures. Though you always seem to show up unannounced we embrace you quickly, happily, pleased that you've come. Welcome Autumn, make yourself at home. Stay as long as you are able.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, you've sent my mind whirling towards autumn, we are still in the 80s around here but I long for fall it's my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, the second photo is so beautiful!
    it looks even more like fall in your neck of the woods than it does here. certainly a lovely season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you're in fall already, I'm sure I saw snow in your photo's only a few months back.:).
    Wishing you a lovely season.
    Oh, I love the lions dress-up, did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is my favorite season --- Autumn too. One of my favorite words is "autumnal". It's so soft, like a pile of orange leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos.. my, how autumn is upon us already! I am so happy to have found your sweet blog.

    best wishes!

    ReplyDelete