I've been so bad about posting craft projects lately. I keep on making things here behind the scenes, but somehow never seem to get to posting about it. So, here we go.Hats. This one is the Pilot Hat from Little Turtle Knits and I love it so much. It is the third one I've made now and I love making them. I used this yarn in tidepool and totally improvised the crochet flower. I don't know how to crochet and it probably shows, but it was fun. And I knew it needed a flower because this was for a little girl whose mama had fallen in love with the hat when it was on the cover of Mothering Magazine, and so it really had to have the flower. For anyone who might actually pay attention to the knitting details (And have a ravelry account!) that yarn weight isn't what the pattern calls for. I am a beginning knitter who has a hard time following rules (like I never swatch. I know. But it just doesn't happen.) More often than not that means I run into problems, but still I don't change my ways. So I made the size up on finer wool. Not perfect, but in this case it worked out alright.


And this hat from the party was a spontaneous thrown-together little project the day before the event. I traced the above pilot hat, which fits Dori quite well, and added the funny elf point. I would shape it a differently if I made another one, but it was fine enough. It is made from Perry's old sweater, cut from the bottom edge so the ribbing is a bit stretchy at bottom. I made a casing and used some bias tape for the ties. I hand sewed it (which explains the poky, funny seam at the back,) because my sewing machine is out of service. I like hand sewing though. I was glad for the excuse. And glad the party gave me an excuse to dress up my little elf.
OMG That last hate is sooo cute...I can hardly stand it.
ReplyDeleteAdorable hat! I love your blog and I'm going to start following it. :) --Jennifer syrendell.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteI sooooooo love these hats.
ReplyDeleteI have nearly no time to knit right now, but I may just have to squeeze that pilot hat in for our little lotus baby.
I love the colors and texture of your knitted hat the flower is lovely, and your little babe looks so sweet in the beautiful elfin hat. I hope to make some for my three littles!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the lovely comments! And nice to "meet" you jennifer, i'll stop by your blog for a visit soon too.
ReplyDeleteYour knitting projects are beautiful. I wish my kids would still wear pilot caps!
ReplyDeleteYou are so talented and creative!
ReplyDeletelovely cute hat!
ReplyDelete