Tuesday, March 08, 2011

inside day

We had to cancel our outing and playdate today as Dori woke up with a sick tummy. Even as he was throwing up he was trying to convince me that he was not sick and should get to go play with his friend, but we postponed our plans and stayed in today. I made a tummy tea with fennel and catnip and chamomile and nettles that is so yummy we all drank it today. It is the same tea I made myself for after Dorian's birth as it is tonic and good for relaxation. The smell of it brought back memories.
Though Ari looks sweet in this picture, he is actually a mean troll who was stealing treasures to hoard in his cave. Pine cones, candle wax, rocks, sea shells, buttons. He was such a sweet big brother today, (even as a troll he was helping the "baby troll" get some treasures too!) worried about Dori and his sick tummy he made him a cozy spot on the couch with a sheepskin, and set to work creating one of his masterpiece artworks for him. And Dorian's response when he gave it to him was adorable- "Wow Ari! You made it!" Though they often drive each other crazy, it is the most wondrous thing to watch these boys become such dear friends.
So another day for knitting and sitting close to the wood stove. I think March always feels like this- like plodding through never ending days of sickness and winter weather that has worn out its welcome. I haven't tired of knitting though. Or the wood stove for that matter. So I'll try to focus on that.
There are a bunch of new babies due in our lives again (no- not me!) and I am happily knitting away for them. The above little sweater has been frogged since I took this picture; I realized there wasn't enough wool and this pretty yarn needs to be something else. Not sure what yet, but I started the same sweater in a lighter wool that I have lots of in my stash. Still trying to move through the stash so I can justify a little wool shopping in the future.
Cooking porridge on the wood stove, too. Why don't I do this more? Have to get in the habit. I just get used to cooking on the kitchen stove and don't think to carry the pots over to the next room, but I plan to do more of this.
Plus, the reflection in the pot gives a fun view of us in the living room!
And one quick birthday pic of my love and his birthday helpers.
Hope you are all warm and well.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Tai, Ari looks so sweet in that photo! But you can see a slightly "rascally" glint in his eye. . .!
    Such beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your treasures from nature and the little wooden boxes to carry and store them in. We use some bead sorting boxes that are plastic...the best I can find for now. These items get much use in our home too. So nice to have so many tactile natural bits about to play with and create with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melanie- I do love that rascally glint!
    and Erin, sorting and playing with natural trasures is the best! The (thrifted) treasure boxes are their most beloved toys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't sibling love the best?!

    I love to come here and see beautiful images from your days. You fill your life with so much color - even in the cold, white winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Zane! And yes, sibling love is the best. It warms me heart so much to see them taking care of each other.

    ReplyDelete