Tuesday, April 05, 2011

mud puddles







Not much to report, just lots of mud and bikes and puddles and play. All good stuff, though I can hardly keep up with the laundry- especially with Ari growing out of most of the pants he has. There is still a fair bit of snow around the property, so we've been taking more trips to find snow-free places to play and bike. These pictures were taken at a local bike park. Ari is less confident riding this new bike of his, as the frame is much taller and he has less control (And less "brake-power" with his feet- so I am keeping him away from the big hills!) but they mostly just want to run and play in the grass and the mud anyway.


We also took a trip to a local organic farm to visit the baby animals. I didn't get any good shots, but the boys loved meeting the baby goats and cows and seeing the terrific chicken tractors (old camper trailers that have been turned into movable chicken coops- such a great idea!) and the huge mama pig. We feel happy to support this lovely farm and the wonderful family farms this land.


I also finished my first knitted sweater a little while ago, and it has arrived at its destination- to welcome our beautiful new niece. This is a Zimmerman February baby sweater, and was maybe a bit ambitious being both my first sweater (aside from the even tinier one I made Sammy!) and my first real attempt at a lace pattern- but I had lots of fun knitting it and this pattern was fairly forgiving of my newbieness.
This is my third time attempting a Zimmerman pattern, but the first one that came out anywhere near the size I expected. I know its not Zimmerman that's the problem (she's the guru after all,) its me and my gauge troubles, but I'm glad to have a EZ success to report. And now, off to bed- there is more mud and puddles and laundry and knitting to fill my day tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. That first picture is priceless...have trike-will travel! I love the three-wheeled variety of like-a-bike. I think it must be fabulous to have a bike park made of earth! Anything i try to find for my boys locally is concrete with graffiti all around. Most of it words I'd rather my 5 or9 year old not read. I must endeavor to keep looking or pester the local bike groups to make one somewhere!

    Biking is big here, too, and one "trail" we have loved all of last week was the one I kept thinking wouldn't be that great before i ever saw it of course. I'm glad my boys persueded me to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sweater!

    Those are some huge puddles and looks like a great place to hang out- on bikes or off them. It took Lily a long while to get comfortable on her bike. There was no turning back once she did. She sitting here with her bike helmet on waiting for the pouring rain to stop and then she's back out there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin- we have the concrete sort too- with the same sort of graffiti- though the littles can't read those words just yet! But this one is great- just wood and grass- and there is rarely another soul there. We have not checked out any trails yet, though I'd bet there will be some of that in our future!
    Annie- Maybe when we finally are able to get our families together Lily can show off her biking skills and inspire Ari. He has yet to be convinced that peddles have advantages over just running and gliding- but trying to keep up with his big friend Lily might be a good incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that sweater is so amazing :-) I love the trike, and the MASSIVE puddles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Tai that sweater is amazing! What is it about red wool? They go hand in hand. What a beautiful gift to welcome your new neice!

    ReplyDelete