Wow, The time has just been flying and I think I completely forgot I had a blog there for a bit. We have been pretty preoccupied over here with a few things, the main one being that, after much thought and research we decided to go on the GAPs diet to help heal allergies for Ari. It has been pretty crazy, the first while was really tough as I got used to the new cooking routines (the routine being: get up, start cooking, cook all.day.long and late into the night, fall into bed exhausted.) But I think we have found our stride a bit with it, we have introduced enough foods that the kids are not constantly starving, I have been able to fill the freezer with foods that are quick and the kids like, and I have made a meal plan that really helps me stay organized. Plus, I am feeling really well eating this way and Ari is absolutely thriving. Dori is adjusting, though it is tough for him, as he pretty much was happiest eating sweet things and starches before and those things are all gone now, but we are finding our way and he is doing quite well now. And amidst all that cooking and adjusting, we have done a few other non-GAPs related things too. A small few, but there have been some. |
Just beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSo good to see you guys! It sounds like you have been very busy. Glad to hear that Ari is doing better. That pumpkin cake looks and sounds divine!
ReplyDeleteI did GAPS for myself 2 years ago, did the intro again 6 months later with my partner and another month of intro with my daughter with epileptic absences this spring. Doing it with kids is epic!! Wow! My girls still remember the « soup diet » as they call it, remembering the first couple of days very well! I am realy glad to hear that it is helpful for you and your son. Keep the great work!
ReplyDeleteHi nice to hear from you :-) Funny i was just thinking of you this week! The diet looks interesting, I just made some big changes to my diet too of late (I now follow an ayurvedic diet) and boy do I feel different and great :-) Your pictures are beautiful, as always x x
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone. Saraelise- is was- I'll try and post the recipe soon. It is one one will keep making even when we are done with GAPS
ReplyDeleteCatherine- yes it is epic! But we are moving through the intro fast and doing really well. I am feeling really postive about it now- though a week ago, not so much!
Laura- so glad that you are feeling well on the new diet. It is so nice to have some energy back!
Oh, that's wonderful about the GAPS diet. I hope it does super things for Ari. We have had to experiment with lots of different alternative therapies for some of Benjamin's sensitivities and it has been a long road with lots of learning. One nutritionist recommended the GAPS diet to us and it seemed very overwhelming but we were able to eliminate gluten and dairy for 6 months. I feel like I thought about food all day, all the time. Food is so healing, if you get it right. Good luck to you -oh, and could you recommend a good starter book with recipes?
ReplyDeleteand I would LOVE the recipe for that cake? (when you have a moment, of course). happy cooking!
ReplyDeleteLife is good.
ReplyDeleteJulia- Ya, it is pretty overwhelming, and you wouldn't want to be doing this pregnant! But already we are noticing such great shifts with Ari- I know this is the right path for us right now. I don't have a great recipe book to recommend. I just have the GAPs book and the GAPs guide neither of which have many recipes. I have heard internal bliss is good. But the internet is an amazing resource for recipes. I really will try and post some soon!
ReplyDeleteI saw this post on useful GAPS resources and had to share it with you!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.naturalhealthathome.com/?p=583&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=gaps-diet-resources