Wednesday, January 18, 2012


Well, it is much too cold today for skiing- a crazy -36 this morning! Pipes are freezing and cars wont start and we are staying in by the wood stove, knitting and reading books and consuming tea and soup in large quantities. But before this turn of weather there was a lot of skiing and there will be again I'm sure, once it warms up a little.

Ari has started Jack Rabbit ski classes at our local Nordic centre. This is a big deal for him, and for us- his first real organized lesson, and we are so glad we waited for him to be ready as he is diving in with such enthusiasm, learning so quickly, and so eager to join in and practice what he has been taught.




It is so inspiring to watch my little boy working so hard to learn something new, and loving every minute of it. I thought when we signed him up it would be a fun time to see his friends as well as learn to ski, as we know lots of the families who are in the classes. But happy though Ari is to see his friends, this is a time to learn how to ski and once his class is done, it is difficult to get him back to lodge to have a hot drink and a treat with his friends (something he would normally love!)- he is busy practicing his new skills and trying to find the biggest hills to ski up so he can fly down them, over and over.



This little boy of mine is so full of determination and energy, I love being able to witness it. Who knows if we will become "a skier"? He's been talking about wanting to go in races and to learn how to skate ski- and maybe he will. But what is certain is that he will be able to take the energy he is giving to this learning and mastering of a skill into what ever he chooses to do, and that is pretty grand. And he is a force to be reckoned with, this sweet boy of mine- in no time at all he will be leaving me in the dust (or powder, as it were,) as he skis off into his own adventures.


But for now, he still needs me or his Papa- to scoop him up out of the snow bank when his skis get crossed, to break trail through the too-deep snow, and for company to ski beside. I am happy to be here next to him, while I am able and needed, but I celebrate too, every time he ventures out a little further from his parents, breaking a little trail of his own.
It is such a blessing to get to bear witness to the expanding and unfolding of these small growing humans. I am one lucky mama. One lucky mama with a new pair of skis, that is. Once this weather turns we are going to be out there blazing trails through fields and forest together. Me and my boy. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh yes those temperatures can be hard and days inside can be (too) long sometimes. We hit -42 last February, and were over 30 for about two weeks after that. I hope it doesn't get that bad this year. Is it alpine ski your boy is learning? Here mine is learning cross country, we have no hills to go alpine skiing :) Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria- yikes- -42! I hope you don't have a string of cold days like that again! It is warming a little here now- a balmy -20! Yes, it is cross country that Ari is doing- he have a down hill slope here, but I am scared if he gets a taste of that we'll never get him back on cross country skis! Plus down hill is crazy expensive- cross country is more our speed for now!

      Delete
  2. off how cold, it is the other way here, really warm and balmy, I keep thinking spring is here already. keep warm, hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. -36...I can't even fathom those kinds of temperatures!?! You must laugh at our snow days!
    I think skiing would be a great thing for my son to learn. My daughter is more like me, we get along best in the lodge curled up next to a fire! ;o) Our ski hill is 3 hours away so we have yet to get there. :o(
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey- I remember snow days in your neck of the wood- I always felt colder there with the moist air and the houses that were not really built for the cold- so no- I know you get cold there too!

      Delete
  4. So very sweet! Your life reminds me so much of our life in the Yukon! The first organized lesson is a big deal! I am glad you waited too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that you are now able to ski along with him! Ari is incredible. He's brave and willing to try. He may be frustrated at times but is able to pick himself up again (figuratively) and keep at it. Enjoy the wonderful snow! We still have some here but aren't sure it will last over the weekend? I hope it doesn't get too cold for you guys!

    ReplyDelete