Monday, February 20, 2012


GAPS almond "brownies"- almond butter, honey egg and baking soda. A very yummy treat for special occasions.
I've had a quite a few questions of how the GAPS diet is going for us lately, and requests to hear about our experience with GAPS cooking/eating/living, so I thought I would write an update for those of you who are interested and for friends and family who are wondering what the heck this is all about!


This has been quite a journey for us. When Ari was 2 he was having a lot of allergy symptoms and we had his allergies tested then. He was sensitive to several foods which we cut out of his diet with good results. But slowly the symptoms started coming back and new ones were showing themselves and we had him tested again to find he had developed a whole bunch of new sensitivities. At this point I started doing a ton of research. It didn't feel right that a child would be developing an allergic response to the healthy, organic, local foods he was eating. I felt heartsick that the nourishing home-made and home-grown foods we had been working so hard to feed our children were making my son sick.  I wanted to figure out why this was happening and how we could help him to get stronger. I also wanted to be sure that we could have a nourishing diet for him to grow strong on, and this was feeling increasingly difficult as the list of problem foods grew longer. And I just wanted so badly for him to feel well. I wanted him to feel happy and comfortable in his own skin. I wanted what every parent wants for their child- for him to be vibrantly healthy.

Soup, soup and more soup- on the GAPS intro diet!

After a lot of research I discovered the GAPS diet. Of all the different ideas I read about for dealing with food allergies, GAPS seemed like it would be best for our family. I felt hopeful reading other families' stories, that this might be a way for us to actually heal the sensitivities, rather than just avoiding foods and changing diets when new allergies develop.


GAPS was started by a neurologist to help treat those suffering from autism and related disorders. Ari clearly didn't fall into that category, but GAPS is also known to help many different issues, and food sensitivities is one. The theory is that many modern disorders are caused by poor gut health, and when the the gut is in poor health it "leaks" foods through the damaged gut wall into the blood stream, causing an immune reaction. So the GAPS diet follows an intense regime of gut healing- taking out all foods that are damaging to the gut or hard to digest, and consuming only foods that are healing to the gut. We followed the introduction diet for just over a month- which starts with a very simple bland diet (broth, boiled meat,veggies, fermented foods,) and slowly adds in more and more foods until you are on the full GAPS diet.  The full diet includes propertly prepared vegetables, fruits, meats, nuts and legumes (eventually,) as well as a big focus on bone broths and properly prepared probiotic-rich foods to aid in gut healing. All grains and starches are avoided as are all sugars (fruit and honey are allowed,) as well as all processed foods.  
Heaps of local cabbage at a sauerkraut making workshop I attended this fall.
I have to say it has been quite a learning experience for me. I am fairly comfortable in the kitchen having grown up in a household that was very focused on wholesome foods and from mostly cooking from scratch myself in my adult years. Ironically, I think being a vegan and vegetarion gave me a lot of knowledge that I needed to do GAPS- thinking carefully about the ingredients in food, making things from scratch, not expecting meal prep to be easy and fast- even though I have never eaten more meat in my life than on this diet, and really had to figure out fast how to cook it while doing GAPS. But, also ironically, we are all eating significantly more vegetables than we ate as vegetarians/vegans. When there are no grains or starches to fill up on, it is amazing how many veggies go down the hatch!
coconut flour cupcakes with honey frosting: our go-to recipe to bring along to birthdays/occasions
At first, cooking for my family without many of the ingredients I was accustomed to using (and that my family was accustomed to eating,) seemed almost impossible. There were some very hard days. There were tears (theirs and mine!) But slowly we have figured it out and adjusted. The food we eat is simple, tasty and nutrient dense. My kids gobble up healthy food and squeal with glee over treats like fresh pears or dried peaches. I don't have to spend every waking moment in the kitchen anymore (because, yes, it was every.waking.minute for awhile there, and that was tough,) and I really don't think much more about food than I did pre-GAPS. The trickiest times are when we are going to be sharing meals with others, or are spending a day away from the house. Restaurants are out of the question with the kids (we've managed a couple simple meals out just us adults, but it is too tough with the kids,) and appropriate snacks are hard to find, so everything has to be prepared ahead of time and brought with us. But even that has gotten easier. I know what foods I can prepare that travel well and don't take too much time to prepare. And the kids have been amazing. They self regulate incredibly. My mom told me she was at the grocery store with the boys and heard Ari say "Dori- we can't eat those so it is better to look at things we can eat." Love these kids!

Homemade yogurt. After careful introduction, dairy is allowed on the GAPS diet, but it must be carefully prepared to make it more digestable. 
And we have had amazing results so far. All of us are feeling very healthy on this diet. Nearly all of the original symptoms that we  wanted to get rid of are gone, and Ari is eating several of the foods that he was showing symptoms with in the past. Our immune systems are strong, and the kids both are eating enormous amounts of good healthy GAPS foods, growing at amazing rates, and are seeming so happy and well balanced and good. It feels very worthwhile- crazy though it seems when I try to explain it to people, or see my kids scan the snacks tables at events to discover there isn't a single thing they can eat (I have learned to travel with dried fruit in my purse for such occasions!). But we are healthy and happy and that is what matters.
holiday GAPS-friendly cookie tray
We are not sure at this point how long we will stay on this regime, but I know that when we do transition back onto a more regular diet, there are some things that we will take with us from GAPS. In some ways it feels like the ultimate Real Foods crash course- I am comfortable now fermenting vegetables, soaking and drying nuts, cooking without sugar, soaking and fermenting legumes, cooking all sorts of meat and fish, making gallons of bone broth and throwing dishes together from limited ingredients. But the main thing is, after we got over our DTs from limiting carbohydratest, we started to realize how dependant we've been on grains and starches to feel full, and how much healthier we feel without so many carbohydrates in our diet. My own low-blood-sugar issues that I have had for as long as I can remember are completely gone. We will eat grains again (Perry especially dreams of rice on the plate again!) but I don't think they will ever be so central to our diet as they were pre-GAPS. And really, a supper of salmon, kale chips and baked squash with a cup of chicken broth on the side feels like a pretty darn nice meal unto itself!
There are several culinary discoveries that have made this GAPS thing easier on us. Kitchen gadgets like a crock pot and good thermoses are very handy, but it has been figuring out what foods are hits and figuring out  substitutes for old favorites that really has made it feel like we can do this. A good muffin/cupcake recipe to bring to parties is great. Waffles and pancakes are important to our weekend routines, and having a good recipe for those is great. The ever growing list of vegetable my kids will eat is both encouraging and helps me plan meals I know they will eat. A couple good bread-ish things are good. Smoothies are good. Grain-free granola is really good. Homemade honey marshmallows on the winter solstice bonfire was grand, and I imagine they will make an appearance on the summer solstice too. And cut out cookies that really cut out and taste good has been a saviour since so many of our celebrations and traditions have involved rolling and baking cookies together. So, here is our recipe for coconut flour cookies, for any of you who might need a good wheat-free, gluten free, grain-free option.

Coconut Flour Butter cookies

1/4 lb butter softened
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
3/4 to 1 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
lemon zest from half a lemon

blend butter and honey together with a hand beater (or mix hard by hand.) Add the egg and continue beating until smooth. In a small bowl mix zest, baking soda and flour together. Slowly add flour mixture until soft and pliable. Roll out on parchment, dusting with a little flour as needed (but don't overdo it or they will be dry.) Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Transfer carefully to wire rack to cool.
Enjoy!

Happy cookie making everyone!


28 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe - they look delicious! And so good to hear that cooking and eating your new diet is getting easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great post!
    Thanks for all the info, and for the cookie recipe. I've never tried coconut flour before but we love coconut-y sweets in this house!
    Will you share your honey marshmallow recipe sometime, pretty please???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will share it- it was quite amazing to realize how easy it is to make your own!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I will be trying these shortly. They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great! Let me know how they turn out!

      Delete
  4. This is so great! I am very happy the GAPS diet is working for your son! I have done the GAPS intro twice! (and been on the stage 6 for over 6 months) but never got rid of my symptoms... I am doing much better on a raw vegan diet... Crazy, hey? I wonder why we are so different...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting isn't it? I'm glad you have found something that is working well for you- and you are in the right place to be eating raw food!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing an update on your diet and the cookie recipe. Have you posted your pancake recipe before, if not I'd love that recipe too oh and the cupcakes too. (don't ask for much do I?!) Also I wondered about your thermos and waffle maker. I've been looking for stainless steel versions of both and haven't come up with anything. All the thermoses have plastic lids and the waffle maker teflon. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again, you are a wealth of info!
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pancake recipe is from "Internal Bliss"- if you google that I think you will find it. I have been meaning to post the cupcake one, so I will do that. We ordered our thermos from lifewithoutplastic.ca -they have lots of great stuff, and these lids are metal. The waffle maker is an ancient thing we have been lugging around since university days!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing your life with GAPS. I am glad it is working for you and your family. I have not tried it yet, but am definitely considering it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks starbuck. The GAPS yahoo group is a great place to check out if you are thinking about trying it. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for the update--I also have quite a bit of curiosity about this GAPS diet so it is good to hear about your experience with it. Do you still prepare your yogurt using the method you posted in the past (starting with a "culture" from a store bought yogurt)? And I see you cover it with waxed paper--what is the reasoning behind that? We are just starting to make our own kefir here, but I'm thinking yogurt would be good too? What flavorings do you guys use?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie- Yes, I make the yogurt the same way, only let it sit in the dehydrator for 24 hours instead of 8. It is slightly more sour and a little thinner, but more digestible and still really good. The wax paper was when I discovered that there is BPA in the linings of the lids. I don't know if the wax on the wax paper is much better, but it was the only thing I could think of to keep those chemicals out of the food. I had to throw away a batch of yogurt I made with new lids as the chemical smell was so strong. Blec. We just add a little honey and vanilla or just eat it plain. Kefir is so great too. I think I killed my grains, but I sure was loving it for awhile!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are all feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taisa, I was just searching through your blog to see if you posted about GAPS. Hooray - what a great post. I am seriously considering trying it to help Benjamin with some of his sensitivities. Actually I think we all have them and I do think we need to heal our guts. I've been reading the Body Ecology Diet book and have read some about Paleo and Nourishing Traditions as well, but I think GAPS is the way to go. Thanks for inspiring me - I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taisa, I'm back here now, having done GAPS for 5 weeks now. Wow - it's a lot of work. I was wondering if your family is still doing it, whether you're committed to it for two years, and how it's going. It's a big commitment but so far I've seen some positive results. Also, I would love to know where you got the coconut cupcake recipe as I'd love to bake those up and bring them along to birthday parties. I've missed visiting your blog (Eloise and GAPS have been keeping me very busy at night!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Julia- big, big hugs to you- it is so tough at the beginning. But I can say that it really does get easier. A lot easier. We are still doing GAPS- its been over a year now, and it is actually pretty smooth these days- no more work than it is to feed a family healthily from with other diets really (except when travelling- then it still feels like a lot!) We have not thought too far ahead, but I really didn't think we would go this long, but we have seen such amazing results and it is going so smoothly now that I am being very very slow in making any changes or introducing new foods. After a year we are all finally eating goat dairy which makes for a lot more food options, but we will keep going for awhile yet I think. But no, I never would have said I was committed for 2 years, though it may end up being that long in the end!
    I can't remember where I found this cupcake recipe but this is the best of the many we tried. It is good plain or with berries or raisins a little vanilla, or other add-ins.
    6 eggs
    4tbs coconut oil/ ghee or butter
    1/2 honey
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tbs apple cider vinegar
    mix everything together and put into cupcake liners and bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes.

    I tried a few different toppings- whipping gelatin and honey (as in honey marshmallows) using the thick part of the canned coconut and whipping with some honey, they are all good. Good luck Julia, I'll be thinking of you- hang in there, it really does get better!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much. i can't wait to try them. we are only on full gaps right now. have been going at it for 6 weeks now and will start intro mid december when we're all home for the holidays together. i'm very nervous about it but also quite hopeful. you're the only person i know who has done it, so it's so, so great to hear that it's been good for your family. i joined a list serve too and am hearing all kinds of wonderful real life results. good for you for sticking with it too. i can't imagine going off of it quickly after putting so much effort into it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. I just heard the same thing about BPA in mason jar lids. I'm so glad I found out - and I can't wait to steal your idea. XOXO. I really miss not having time to visit your blog more. Such warmth hear. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made your cupcakes and am making them again tonight. You're right - best ones I've made yet. Thank you, Taisa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Taisa,
    Thanks so much for pointing me here! Beautiful post, and so heartening :) It is already getting easier, now that we're through intro and the initial changes. Best to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just tried this and I would recommend leaving the baking soda out. The toughest part about making wheat-free cookies is getting them dense and chewy. Baking soda yields a more cakey texture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wondering... Half of what honey? 1/2 cup?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just made these and are they're ok. Might try without the baking soda next time. Nice honey and lemon flavours. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried these just now but I was really disappointed, they're so dry. Maybe they will be better once they cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! I'm Rebecca from MyNaturalFamily.com. I shared a link to your recipe on my post
    http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/dessert-recipes/15-coconut-flour-cookies-recipes/

    I want to make sure it's ok with you that I did so. Please let me know if you want me to remove your image.

    I would love if you could share a little love by sharing the post on your social media accounts. After all, in the end it will help you get more traffic too.

    I am also open to other collaboration ideas so please let me know if you have ideas of how we can help grow each other’s blogs.

    Get More Traffic

    In case you're not already a member of our sister site, InspiringCooks.com I would like to invite you to join it.

    I was frustrated with how much work it is to submit to food submission sites so I created my own site kind of like Food Gawker. The main difference is that you don't have to submit each recipe. All you need to do is fill out this form - http://inspiringcooks.com/submit-recipes/ and we will add your recipe images for you with a link to your site (no recipe on our site). We will also promote your content by pinning both directly from your site and from our site.

    Bonus - when you join Inspiring Cooks, you can also request to be added to My Natural Family’s most popular group boards on Pinterest.

    Make More Money

    I make over six-figures on My Natural Family and I wrote a blog post all about how I do it. I think/hope there are some ideas in it that could help you make more money with your blog - http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/earn-six-figures-blog/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just tried them too and they are so soft, fragile and dry :( I read that coconut flour has a lot of fiber and it absorbs moisture way better than regular flour so I'm thinking 1 egg is not enough for almost a cup of coconut flour..idk but I'll try the muffin recipe on the back of the coconut flour packaging, hopefully it'll come out better(it says 6eggs for 1 cup of flour!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've made this cookies today and i liked them better a little toasted so i baked them a couple more minutes

    ReplyDelete