I've decided to join Ginny's yarn along for the first time with the shawl that is coming together more quickly than I expected. It should be done fairly soon, and I will be appreciating the warmth through the spring and for summer evenings too, I'd imagine. I've never actually worn a shawl, but I've been wanting to make one for awhile. If I like wearing it I may make myself a lighter weight one as well- but only after I manage to tackle the cardigan project.
I don't have much else on the go- I am awaiting a yarn order for a few projects to get started. Ari has requested a sweater for his birthday like the one I made Dorian for his birthday, only with gray and red stripes, and I am only happy to oblige. And just the suggestion of his brother wanting a sweater like his had made Dori suddenly interested in wearing his sweater, making me cheer inwardly with delight. Outward cheering could throw his interest right out the window- he is three after all!
I have no great literature to share, I am still devouring stacks of gardening and homesteading books. I bought the Backyard Homestead book for Perry for his birthday and have been flipping through it, but am a little disappointed in how basic it is. There is little here that is new to us and I am still seeking the perfect homesteading bible- any suggestions? Ari and I are reading Little House in the Big Woods together (I am reading ahead on my own to be ready for any scary parts or editing that might be necessary,) and enjoying it a lot. This is a big parenting moment, as these books were my absolute favorites as a child, and really made a big impact on me- I think I called my parents Ma and Pa for a good year while I was reading them! They are their own sort of homesteading bible, really, we are learning a lot as we go. If we ever need to know how to salt our own fish or make a ball from a pigs bladder, Ari and I will be ready.
Happy Wednesday friends.

Lovely shawl, I like the grey colour. Isn't it the best when you get things requested? It makes my day!
ReplyDeleteThanks Andria, yes I love it when they are excited about the things that I make them!
DeleteI was also disappointed by The Backyard Homestead book but have enjoyed The Ultimate Guide To Homesteading by Nicole Faires... Also a big Little House on The Prairie reading family here too! : )
ReplyDeleteOh, thanks Nicole! I will check this one out.
DeleteI love the pig's bladder ball. I remember the illustration that went along so well! Love you.
ReplyDeleteI know, me too! Thankfully this copy has the same illustrations. Love you too sis.
DeleteDear Taisa...Ohhhh, that shawl is going to be beautiful! And what cardigan project...hmmm...my interest is piqued. I am holding off on the Little House books so far, but am so excited to begin in the fall! And I have Carla Emery's homestead book which has so much info. Really jam packed. But I always go on word of mouth advice, really. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeletexo Jules
Thanks Jules. I'll keep you posted on the cardigan, I am having a hard time making a decision on a pattern. I had planned to hold off till next year for the first Little House book too, but Ari found it on the shelf and begged me to read it to him. I imagine we will re-read it several times before we are ready to move on to the next one. And thanks for the book rec- it looks great- jam packed is what I am looking for!
Delete