Friday, March 30, 2012

Our seeds arrived this week with much excitement. We are all dreaming about the gardens we will grow.



The boys were especially pleased to find the flowers they had chosen. Sunflowers for Dorian-
and "dragon snaps" for Ari.
We have been heralding the signs of spring:  "bird parties" at the feeder, some patches of grass peeking out from the snow,  a bluebird, a few robins, and pussy willows!


I finally pulled out the wet-on-wet painting supplies. The boys really enjoyed it and painted quietly and with great focus. I told the Enki painting story "Brushtail" the week before- a magical story about a bird who brings colour to the world, and it has a verse in it that can gently remind about rinsing the paintbrush in between colours. This worked well to keep it from feeling to "rule-ish." 
The boys rediscovered this pop-up tree house book their grandparents sent awhile back. It came with bug characters, but this time it was populated with gnomes. This game went on for several days.
The joys of a basket of new chalk, 


And Ari lost another tooth! And the other front one is nearly out. He's growing and changing so fast these days!
He is such a bird lover and rescued this chickadee who must have hit a window. He cared for it so carefully and then Perry helped him set it up on the feeder and it flew off a little while later. He is certain that it is the one chickadee that stays at the feeder when the others fly away because it remembers him- which must be true! He was also thrilled to hear the first red-winged blackbird today. These have been his very favorite birds since he was just tiny and he lead me out to the back willow very quietly to show me where they were, so glad to be welcoming them back home.  
We are all so excited for these signs of spring. We have several farm projects planned for the weekend, a trip to the garden store, some hoop houses to build over those cleared beds and readying an area for two little baby farm additions next week (hint: they are going to be our rototillers in the old neglected gardens and have curly tails!) 
I hope your weekend is full of excitement too, friends! 

7 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet post Taisa. Every time I read you, I can feel exactly how this season feels in your little corner of the world because you depict it so beautifully (and because I can totally relate to the climate and the farm life too). It even makes me feel a little nostalgic some days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. Maybe you should come by for a visit for a little nostalgic farm trip sometime!

      Delete
  2. Dear Taisa...I love peeking in here as I feel like I could just take my three and join in on the fun, it is so familiar. Really now, you just seem so familiar! And little oinkers, right? Lucky lucky, how fun! By the way, we are really thinking of the coast now, we should really swap ideas about when you are travelling there.
    xo Jules
    P.S. Oh, those boys are darling! Just darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about you guys Jules, it is so familiar! And yes, lets talk about the summer plans, fingers crossed that we can make it work! And yes, it's piggies- coming soon!

      Delete
  3. Oh my dear, wouldn't my Winter-boy be absolutely beside himself, should he find a little chickadee to rescue and hold and love! How exciting for Ari!
    I am loving his hair cut, Taisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Winter this week with all the birdies about- Ari was so thrilled. And yes, the hair cut- he does look so cute, doesn't he?

      Delete
  4. so cool that he rescued a chickadee. what a beautiful experience for him!

    ReplyDelete