Just a few snapshots to show for our weekend on the homestead- it was spent discussing and planning and working out ideas, gathering supplies and getting going on a few projects. We are really excited to be diving in more to our farming this year, with more crops out in the garden, a few more chicks to add to our laying flock, some new plans for the root cellar, starting more of our own seedlings, planting out earlier with some crops, and having 2 piggies (!) to dig up the two big garden sections on the property that have gone to weeds over the last couple years in order to plant a larger garden and berry patch next year. We'll see how it all goes, but it is all feeling quite exciting right now.
We whitewashed a back out-building that has formally held turkeys, to house our piggies for the time being while the gardens melt off and it warms up enough to have them pastured there. This is all very new to us, we feel pretty inexperienced, but we are reading a ton and asking lots of questions of local farmers who are being very generous with their thoughts and advice. We'll start with these pigs and see where things lead. The boys are petitioning hard for bunnies (and a bunny tractor) as well as goats, ducks, sheep, horses, donkeys and anything else that strikes their fancy. My mom has been giggling about her daughter the former ardent vegan becoming a pig farmer. ahem. You never know where life will lead or what path might feel right to walk down, do you?
I hope your weekends were full of good projects and happy surprises, friends.




What a lovely post...you are right about where I would love to be...we are hoping to get there ourselves in 5 years...(too bad it has been a five year plan for 3 years already, but we will get there). Thank you for sharing...I always find some inspiration when I visit.
ReplyDeleteThanks Natalie- good luck with your farming dreams!
DeleteFunny that I am the piggy farmer who became vegan!! Have fun! Pigs are so amazing!
ReplyDeleteHa-you just never know where you will end up, hey? We'll see how this goes, maybe I'll be vegan again before long!
DeleteYou are so right! I think you should always leave paths open as you never know when you'll feel right to walk down them. That said I think I can confidently say that I'm not the farmer type. I'm an ovo lacto vegetarian not entirely by choice (the darn stuff just won't digest!) so raising animals for food isn't a path that I can walk down. However if my husband decides that he's tired of being a vegan then I of course would walk down with him (just cover my eyes a lot!)
ReplyDeletexoxo
~ joey ~
I think you are a terrific farmer- an urban veggie farmer!
Deleteyes for spring and all of the energy shifting from within and finding its' way through our bodies and outwards to fruition and dreams becoming realized...like birth, spring can send us to our living edges, ready or not.
ReplyDeletewe have new chicks too! i call it chicken math...you need 4? okay, get 8! because some are bound to be roosters, (for dinner) and also because when you are choosing the chicks, some are so adorable, you just figure, well i can squeeze in a couple more can't i? we are hoping for 4 hens, but we may have more!
seeds are going and i can't wait for it to warm up, aside from oe amazing weekend, it has been damp and chilly.
take care :)
Well said Erin, I am always amazed a how things speed up this time of year, the unstoppable pace of spring and summer. I love it, but we need that long winter to recover! Chicken math- that's good. We are just getting a few this year- hoping to do the math right and end up with the right amount of eggs through the winter. I love getting those little balls of fluff!
Delete