Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Knitting along again today. Getting a start on the fish hat. It is a funny pattern- this will be the fish's mouth which will fit over the head- there will be fins and a tail and eyeballs and all! I am reading Last Child in the Woods right now in between gardening books and books about pig raising. I think I need something lighter soon. Anyone have any good novel recommendations? I am finding it hard to find books to read that fit my parameters- I want something that has depth but I can't deal with things that are dark or disturbing these days- I need life affirming and inspiring- any ideas?
My wool order arrived and there is lots to get started on. Ari's sweater is most pressing- his birthday is just a few weeks away and I am realizing it is probably not humanly possible to start and finish a sweater by then. I'll get a start on it and see what I can do and be sure to get it done while there is still a spring chill in the air that calls for woolly sweaters. 


And finally some pictures of my love in his finished sweater. I do find the neck a bit funny on this pattern, it is the same one I used for Dorian's sweater - the EZ seamless raglan, and if I ever knit it again I will need to learn how to adjust the pattern to make the neck less wide. But all said- it fits and he seems to be pleased with it and I am glad to have finally got over my fear of full sized sweater knitting. That will make Ari's sweater a breeze and it will just fly off the needles, right?
Happy Wednesday friends!

9 comments:

  1. Taisa, I love the colors you have chosen for your new yarn!! And your sweetie's sweater is beautiful. Huge hugs, Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel- this green makes me think of you, actually!

      Delete
  2. Dear Taisa...yes, I also love this sweater. I love the simplicity of it all, including one solid colour. I made Josh a sweater a few years back and it was my first and I just do not like it at all. It's much too stripey stripey for my liking. He, of course, wears it as the faithful fella he is. Next, I'd like one more like Perry's. And now that I've "seen" your whole family, I just know that we must meet up this summer...somehow, someway...we're thinking the end of June...you?
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jules! I sent you a note just now- and hugs too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are looking for fiction reads, I just read "All That Matters" by Wayson Choy, which is even set in your fair province. Also "Water for Elephants" was good, though I was wary of all the hype around it. "Something Fierce" is good too, but not entirely light.
    I like seeing A lot of Otters on your sidebar. We love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your sweater is lovely and your men too, your photos, they are so warm and full of love. i'm glad you are at ease with sweaters now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello!

    well first off, the sweater! oh so good. your man is one lucky fella. i really love it and i would wear it all day if it was mine. i love simple fits and would truly wear that!

    and the pie looks so good i wanted to just jump right into it! what kind of crust did you use? it looks wonderful.

    i loved "last child in the woods" ... a must read for families who sincerely want to help their kids grow naturally into this ever-reliant on technological world.

    i hear you about the lighter reading. most novels these days (including the mainstream popular horror/fantasy genre for kids), leave me feeling worried and empty. worried for what those minds are like irl! so much darkness and perversion and obsession with the dark side. i am currently reading (again) "trauma farm" about a farm on Saltspring. Funny, no swearing, no horror, simple farm experience with his poetic language and takes on the non-organic growing world. marvellous. have you read poetry? mary oliver is inspiring and light in an enjoyable summer-day kind of way. and there was the "dirty life" by kristin kimball. loved that. will read again soon.

    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sweater! I've got some sweater envy going on over here :) That's some gorgeous wool you've purchased, too! Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Perry's new sweater!! It's perfect. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete