The spring also uncovered all the work we never got to in the fall- there are still lots of plant stalks and weeds about, and much to clean up and get to. But the great thing about spring, unlike autumn, is that it is a time when we all have boundless energy for the garden, and want to be out there every minute, so the digging and compost tending and general garden maintenance tasks are welcome now.
I spent some time building a small hugelkultur bed this weekend- this is a new idea to me- a friend recently introduced me to Sepp Holzer and his ideas seem very applicable here, so I thought I'd give a couple of his raised beds a try- though mine is just a little taller than a regular raised bed, unlike some which can stand 5-6 feet high! I don't have a picture yet, but I'll take one once I finish the job. I have big plans to make a few more of these around the house, but my back is aching after all that digging yesterday and asking me go slow- it is so easy to get ahead of myself with all the spring plans!
The kids have been so excited to be out digging and running about. They even had a stint of running barefoot this weekend, though that didn't last long. As they work in the garden they have been playing a game called "Alex and Fonz" inspired by the couple episodes of Tales of the Green Valley they have seen over my shoulder on YouTube. I am loving this show (despite the sloooow internet up here that makes watching it a lesson in patience.) It is a BBC history show that has experts running a farm for a full year as it would have been run in the 1620's using all the traditional tools and methods. I am a wee bit obsessed. As are my children who are reenacting the reenactment here in our garden!
As you can see there is still a fair bit of snow in the fields, but it is raining hard today and melting quickly. I am looking forward to some tromps through the woods without sinking through the snow, but the kids are more interested in working on the "rivers" on the driveway, so we will be spending some time in the mud this week for certain.
Many of our seedlings are up now, I love seeing these little green shoots emerge! They are going to need transplanting soon- I am going to try a soil block maker this year and have all the assembled soil making ingredients, but the tool didn't arrive in time to get them started in the blocks so I have my fingers crossed that they will transplant into the larger blocks from these little plugs.
I have also been doing a bunch of reading about cover crops and green manures, and have made a mix of a few different seeds (inspired again by Sepp Holzer, who has over 50 different plants in his seed mix!) and have been tossing them into the beds as I clear them, hoping that some of the seeds take. We don't usually plant until the end of May, as that is when it is typically frost free, but I am wanting to try pushing the edges a little this year and see what we can manage to get in earlier. I have plans to plant some garlic, lettuce, green onions and radishes under a frost protection this week, and fill the rest of the beds with cover crops until it is time to plant into them. Always some new experiments to try!
Our other farm adventure this week was finding 3 feet of water in our crawl space and our sump pump just sort of swirling it around in a surreal looking tempest. Perry has been pumping it out and we finally can see the ground again, and it seems to be draining well now but there is some insulation to replace and it will need some time to dry out. It was quite a feeling looking at that swirling water just a few inches from our floor!
Otherwise, things are well on the farm, the piggies are growing and rooting around and learning to respect electric fences and enjoying their daily treats and pats from the boys. We have some new chicks coming soon and have some cleaning and whitewashing to do to be ready for them. So much activity and adventure after our quiet winter- hurrah for spring!
Happy Monday, friends.





Dear Taisa...Oh, I know just what you mean about the boundless energy for gardening this time of year. All that winter planning by the cookstove got me fired up to move and do and act and shovel. This is the first year ever that I can feel the need to take it slower ~ my elbow really hurts from carting around the wheelbarrow. A little reminder of mortality, I'm afraid. I suppose my body is growing older ~ ack!!! But I think we must be a week or two ahead of you, as I could have written so much of this two weeks ago...the mud, the snow, the shoveling, the creeks in the driveway. But today, after much rain, there is so much green popping up. Ahhhhhh, I love this season! I can't wait to see more piggy photos. Oh, and that link to the BBC show is wonderful...I absolutely must check this out for it is right up Josh and my alley...this summer for his birthday he wants to go into the mountains with his friends and build a ski cabin entirely out of handtools. Yes, parallel lives. And an email is forthcoming, but I need to sit and do it and tonight is not the night:(
ReplyDeleteMany hugs, dear Taisa,
xo Jules
Yes, I think you would enjoy the program- Josh probably knows more than the characters about using simple tools! Take care of that elbow, lovely!
DeleteMy boys are AVID 'Tales from the Green Valley' fans. OMGoodness, it is often requested and all winter was on rotation with both Victorian + Edwardian Farm with the same historians. They are such a cheerful affable bunch, that I feel completely safe allowing them to watch it. And then, they are off and running and making things, replicas of what they've seen. It is such amazing utilization of the visual history to re-enact, and it gives me reems of stuff to write for O4L fodder for SelfDesign.
ReplyDeleteThe gardens call at this time of year, and you all sound so happy and satisfied to be out there again. There's nothing like spring as an elixir for well being :)
Have a happy week. Hopefully soon I'll have something on the blog for you to read too!! It's not like life is slow or anything, it's just making space for the wheels to stop spinning for 5 minutes for me to piece it together!!
I love that your boys are fans of this show and that they make replicas of what they see! I am really loving the quality of play that is coming out of this. I was watching it for my own enjoyment, but you are right it is a great homeschool resource!
DeleteThanks for that link to the BBC series, it looks fantastic! Our internet is super slow here too, it takes me several hours to upload pics and write a post, exhausting sometimes. And yes spring is with you, we have to wait a little longer to see the grass, but soon it will be here together with the midnight sun. Happy week!
ReplyDeleteAh yes, the slow internet- it is frustrating. Ours is faster in the morning so I have been doing my uploading then, but still pretty slow. I hope you see some grass soon!
DeleteI love reading about gardening adventures! I too like to try and push the season and see what we can plant a bit earlier than suggested!
ReplyDeleteI love watching BBC show series about past times so I will definitely be checking out this link! It gives me such an appreciation for truly dealing with hard times. I don't know how many of them made it through!
xoxo
~ joey ~
Yes you will enjoy it I think. I have actually been inspired in the other direction- thinking that we can totally do these things - it makes self sufficiency seem easier than I had thought, rather than harder, which is part of what I love about it.
DeleteHow wonderfully written: "But the great thing about spring, unlike autumn, is that it is a time when we all have boundless energy for the garden, and want to be out there every minute, so the digging and compost tending and general garden maintenance tasks are welcome now." And never more true! We are in the midst of just that as well, so I can understand how you are feeling!
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you and your family!
Tammy
PS where in Canada do you live? I'm in Northern Ontario and we have no snow here...which makes me wonder where you are!
Thanks Tammy! Happy spring to you too. We are in northern BC- lots of snow this year here!
DeleteThank you Taisa for answering me. Your homestead looks lovely :) and I wish you much growing success this year.
DeleteFreshly sprouted seeds are one of my greatest joys in life. So new and full of promise!
ReplyDeleteYes, they are glorious! I hope things are sprouting where you are!
DeleteThank you for pointing us to the Green Valley shows! We've enjoyed others of this kind but haven't seen these yet. Cam's trying to hurry my blog reading so we can watch an episode! He also says your post "looks like home". I'm looking forward to seeing how your garden grows; it looks like a great start. xx
ReplyDeleteAw, give Cam a hug for me- and I hope you both enjoyed it!
Delete