Monday, April 23, 2012

We had such a lovely weekend here on the homestead- we had some glorious weather and we spent most of our time outside working around the farm together, which are my very favorite kinds of days. The boys were so contented playing in the sandbox, helping us with whatever we were working on, or creating their own projects- like  hammering rocks to "get the limestone out of them" and driving this boat to "Northen Bay." 
The snow is all gone except a few patches in the shady spots. As soon as I step outside I start going over the list of things I want to get done out here. The list is never ending, but I haven't been feeling overwhelmed, just excited to be outside doing all these things I'd just been dreaming about by the wood stove all winter.
We started building a bigger composter (inspired by Jules again! Thanks for this terrific pallet composter idea Jules!) Even with the new composter Perry built last year we were running out of space and realizing we really needed a bigger 3 bin system, especially with the pig and chicken manure we are dealing with. So Perry set to work building a big one out of pallets at the bottom of the garden and we are loading it up and hoping to get a good hot compost working.
I finished the huglekultur bed (yes, I realize it looks a little like a burial mound, I'm hoping it will look less halloweenish once the plants start growing and it settles a bit!)  and stuck a bunch of perennials in that my mom had given me- she didn't know what most of them were, so this is an experiment in many ways. I  found some amazing stashes of old wood on the property and had a grand time hauling the large boards back to the yard- they were so dry and light I could impress my boys by carrying them over my shoulder looking super tough- always a bonus.


The seedling are growing like crazy and many need to be transplanted soon. My soil blocker is waiting to be picked up, so I will give it a go this week sometime and give these little seedlings more room to grow.
We had our first cookout of the year and is was so lovely to eat outside together. Ah, spring.We love you so.
And now, I must make myself a cup of herbal tea and hope I can sleep a bit before the JRP oral statement tomorrow. I am trying not to think about it too much, I'm just going to go there and do it. But if anyone wanted to send me some good vibes tomorrow, I would gather them up gladly!
Goodnight friends.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Taisa, our lives are so similar. You describe my feelings exactly about stepping outside in the spring and just relishing in all the hard work- good hard work- living those winter dreams!
    AND I laughed out loud at the importance of Mama looking tough. . . with little boys of my own I sure understand that! HA! When I do something such as carry a heavy board, or use tools I get beaming looks of admiration. :) Also, if I wear a pretty skirt I get beaming looks of admiration. I love little boys!
    Love, Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you little burial mound! I garden with these a lot too and they ARE super nice when the plants grow on them! Spring is so much fun on a farm, we have so much energy and nothing feels like a chore! Enjoy those precious moments!

    ReplyDelete