Friday, April 20, 2012

We've been outside as much as we can be this week. Bare toes in the grass and little boys petting pigs in their PJ's- what could be better?


 These pigs are so much fun- and look how well they dig- it is amazing really. They are still so small, yet have nearly dug up the pen we have them in (the coop we used for turkeys in past years.) We will move them soon to the old gardens and take advantage of their amazing rototilling abilities, but we have to build some kind of easy portable house for them, and are still trying to settle on a design. One pig got out today- he didn't mean to get out, he just got really excited to see the boys with the treats and ran right through the electric fence, poor fellow. He was desperate to get back in and we were able to get him in pretty quickly, thankfully. The kids proved to be good pig herders, a skill we will need as we get them moving about on pasture.



There has been lots of farm and pig inspired play lately. I love it.

I am working on another hugelkultur bed, this one in the front yard around one of the fruit trees. I have been wanting to get rid of the grass around our house and have a bunch of raised beds instead, so this is a (very small) start. It is good to have helpers.


Even if they are quickly distracted by the wonderful kite flying wind we've been having- it is entertaining to watch as I haul sod and shovel rocky soil.

We still have a fair bit of food in the freezers and pantry to move through. We found a box of frozen fruit in the bottom of the freezer much to our delight and have been eating strawberries with just about everything. Next year I aspire to using my brilliant friend Jules' wonderful food organizing system- sharing out each item we preserve into boxes divided by month and bringing out a box at the beginning of each month- I love this idea!
There were some rainy days this week and some silliness ensued inside. The above game is called "duck bomb," for no reason I can tell other than it is exciting to yell "1,2,3 duck bomb!" while leaping simultaneously onto your beds over and over and over.  
Dorian really wins the silliness awards around here though. He just loves to be goofy and make faces and tell jokes and make us laugh. 

 Though he also is quite happy sitting in a patch of sun cutting paper.
And now we are getting ready for an evening out- the boys are having a PJ party at my parent's house while Perry and I go on a date to see the students at his school perform "Flashdance"- should bring back some good 80's memories!
Happy Friday everyone!

11 comments:

  1. Your boys look so big all of a sudden. I know I have said this before, but I love reading your blog partly because it reminds me so much of my other life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are looking big- I think for Ari it is the missing front teeth! I'm glad you keep coming by to visit!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I am Melanies (mama ashgrove) sister Hannah. I just love your pictures, and your love for the outdoors. We have that in common.

    Your kids room is the exact same orange as our kids room. It is so soft and lovely.

    Anyway, just wanted to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Hannah! Thanks so much. Yes, I do love that orange- it is very warm and changes a lot with the light. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely "full" week. I love times like these! We've been flying kites too but at a nearby beach as we don't have enough land to fly (does that make sense?!)
    http://madebyjoey.blogspot.ca/2012/03/beaches-and-kites.html
    Love seeing your days, your piggies already look like they've grown, is that possible?!
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kites and beaches- and beautiful driftwood houses! I do miss the coast sometimes. And yes, the pigs have grown already- it is amazing how fast they grow!

      Delete
  4. You make me want to have pigs now! We are planning on having chickens first but probably next year as I do not want too many things on my plate with a newborn. By the way, you asked for book recommendations and I read recently one called " See you in a hundred years" by Logan Ward about a modern family living on a farm as in the 1900's for a whole year. I enjoyed it very much and you might like it since you have been watching tales from the green valley recently :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria- starting with chickens is probably a good plan- we've had them for 10 years before getting the piggies! And thanks so much for the book recommendation- that sounds terrific!

      Delete
  5. Hello sweet friend, Oh, Taisa, that is just so sweet of you to say that! I hope the system works for you. Your boys are so sweet, my favourite photos are of the kite flying wonder face and the silly faces. Love them! I am amazed at how piggies work so hard in the garden. It is incredible. I am excited to see how your beds develop. It is so fun to visit here, because the landscape, the weather is just like our backyard. Also, I have two book recommendations : I am just finishing "Bride of New France" about the women sent over from Paris to become colony wives. Such vivid pictures it created in my mind. Also, both Josh and I loved Through Black Spruce. Two Canadian books from one Canuck to another. ?Have a great week!!!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, you are very welcome dear friend! And thanks for the Canadian book recommendations- I am loving this list I am getting here- I will be set for a couple years I think!

      Delete
  6. I enjoy so much and look forward each time to read your blog, that on my first blog anniversary I'm passing a little sunshine your way. I'm nominating you for the Versatile Blogger Award!
    NaturallyFunDays.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete