Saturday, February 16, 2013

There was much drawing and cutting and making this week- Perry brought home a couple new notebooks (Dori is going through drawing pads at an amazing pace,) which inspired lots of new artwork.

there was cutting of paper dolls (and goats!),

and going through the huge stash of vintage zippers from a friend (thanks Nik!)- I think I need to make a whole pile of zipper pouches with these.
The living room was tranformed with various impressive set-ups and many elaborate castle themed games, 
                  (I especially love this little shop selling smoothies,)
Valentine making,
My funny valentine. (This picture is so quintessentially Dori-he loves it when I take the camera out so he can practice his poses and silly faces!) And look at those letters he just started writing spontaneously!
Strawberry lemonade as a valentine treat. We were planning a big cookie-making endeavor  but the day got away on us, and a sweet pink drink was a welcome substitution.
Ari and I are enjoying this math block we are working on- he's really taken to the characters from the 4 processes story, and moving from story, to manipulatives (first with word problems and then on the grid sheets,) to writing equations has been amazingly smooth and fun for him. I remember math from my own childhood mostly being a series of dry and confusing workbooks and (scary!) drills and flashcards, so it is refreshing to be part of this wonderfully creative and intuitive method for learning those same skills.
Flowers from my love.

We've been getting some warmer weather the past few days- I actually could smell melting soil on our walk the other day! I am always a little reluctant to browse the seed catalogs and get too focused on spring when there is still so much winter ahead, but I just might sneak a peek. Or maybe I should just strap on the ski boots and accept that I live in the north!

I hope the sun is shining where you are, friends.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Taisa...As always, when you post it is like a mirror image to our home, with the castle play, the knights, the plethora of drawings. We just finished up our math gnome block and I was also so amazed at how effortless it was. Our blocks were very similar, though your worksheets were an addition I might incorporate for morning practice while we venture into our next block ~ reading. Forrest is so excited to finally learn to read he jumps up and down with delight.
    As for browsing the seed catalogues, I enjoy that so much (though truly, I buy so little now, my seed box is bulging). We had a lovely snow yesterday and I wonder if it came from your neck of the woods or will be coming there soon!
    I so enjoy these peeks into your family life...it is all so familiar and comforting!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules- I look forward to hearing how your next block goes! I'll be looking out for that snowstorm, we really have had so little snow compared to most years, my little skiers would welcome a big dump!

      Delete
  2. oh, Taisa! Just look at those sweet boys!
    Cedar boy has also spontaneously been writing letters and words lately, he's doing what my others did at this age (5 and 6) and teaching himself to read and write, so that when I get to actual grade one stuff he's already doing it mostly!
    All those zippers!!!! You are so lucky! That may seem funny, but I find myself using zippers frequently.
    I hope you are doing well, Mama- you're on my mind a lot! HUGS Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel- thanks- I am doing well! It is interesting to see how much Dori is picking up from being around Ari's homeschool work. He mostly just draws beside us, but he is taking lots in. And yes, I think I will have fun with those zippers!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely collection of photos. Your boys are so handsome :) I know the feeling about the seed catalogues, I was just thinking about it the other day. But this year we will keep it simple again I think, although we planted a bunch of garlic in september so I am already excited to see if it will come out. Have a great week and enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! And how amazing to experience math as anything other than boring and scary :)

    ReplyDelete