Friday, March 08, 2013

The weather has been lovely here this week, and we are getting out in the warm sunshine as much as we can. It is not warm enough to be melting yet, but it is so lovely to be out in the sunshine, and we have been loving our daily walks. 
:: icicle sword
Our daily pattern now is to walk together until we get to the sledding hill, where the boys take a detour- often with their sleds (but lately they are able to sled right on their bottoms or bellies, it is so smooth and slick!) and I continue on to a little loop we've tramped down in the forest. I can still hear the boys hooting and whooping it up, yet that little walk through the trees is such a lovely calm moment in my day.
I've been continuing on down the driveway and onto the big road, which has melted and is nice for walking, especially now that the winter trucks are off the road and it is quiet. I can watch the little sledding boys on the hill as I walk. Today Ari walked down in his ski boots and lugged all his ski stuff on his sled. When I got back to the road I could see he had strapped on the skis and was racing around the field, over the hills and bumps, grinning and flushed. He came down to the road to chat over the fence with me, and then was off again. 

The snow is perfect for the boys right now- a crisp layer on top means they can ski or run right on the top and not sink through at all- they've been having all sorts of adventures across this frozen playground. But this pregnant mama has to stick to the paths and roads - I just sink right through when I try to follow!
Inside, Ari has started finger knitting and is loving it. There is a story and verse in the Enki craft materials that really engaged him and made the learning quite effortless for him. I think he will be ready for the "knitting sticks" in no time!


I've finally started knitting the birthday sweater I had planned to make last year for Ari. I was stuck on the fact he had asked for one just like Dori's, when I knew both of them tend not to wear pull over sweaters, and I also was a little tired of that EZ pattern after making both Dorian and Perry's sweaters using it. I talked with Ari and he agreed he would be most likely to wear a hooded sweater with a zip, but he still wanted it red and striped. Done! I am enjoying it quite a lot now that I know it will be worn!

I'm a little late for Wednesday's yarn along, but I snapped the picture with the book- I just finished it last night-a light and enjoyable read. It is the first time I've read anything by Peter Hoeg and I found his writing style quirky and totally entertaining. 



I know I post endless pictures of my kids play, but I love it so. I had a strong feeling today, while helping them clean up their toys, of how much I am going to miss this stage when it is done (not the cleaning part so much!) I adore finding these little set ups, and seeing into their imaginations. Today there was the sweetest little farm house built from blocks and castle pieces with a vegetable garden on the roof complete with goats and chickens. So sweet!

This week there has been an ongoing game that gets set up over and over. It seems to be a cross between a farm and a pirate theme, which I find quite amusing. I suppose one never knows when you might need a sword and cannon to protect your livestock!




We are really noticing the lengthening of the days this week. Now the sun is up with us when we make our morning tea, entertaining us with beautiful steam clouds dancing from the kettle and the tea cups. 

We have a busy weekend ahead of us, lots of events and activities to take part in. Have a great weekend, friends!

8 comments:

  1. Our weather is so similar Taisa...and I do love it so. Your daily walks sound blissful and such big boys to be playing independently and come to the fence for a chat before racing off! Just today I was thinking the same thing about this stage of mamahood...I can see Forrest beginning to straddle the next phase and I have a longing inside to remain where we are, to hold on tight and not let go. I realize that my littlest is 2 1/2 yrs now and he was such a baby this time last year...where did the time go? How could I not savour it more ~ though in reality, I am such a documenting loving mama. Sighs. They do indeed grow and this journey we are on together is but a moment in their lives. Good words to remember when times are tough. Okay, so now I'm going on and on and I'll stop being so sentimental. I love your photos, keep them coming, my friend!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Jules- it is so fleeting and precious and we can savor it and still it passes so fast. Glad to share the journey with you, dear friend. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely post. I WISH I lived where you do, so finding your blog with your beautiful photos is such a find x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sian! I'd package up some of our looong winter for you if I could!

      Delete
  3. I have read a couple of books by Peter Høeg and loved them, I guess this is a new one, I will have to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you will enjoy this one. I will have to try some of his others too.

      Delete
  4. oh. i hear you about missing the stages when they pass, i definitely shed a momentary tear when i realize something that was occurring with great regularity is no more. at eleven my oldest is keen into lego, and stamp collecting. the playmobil has been all but forgotten, and with it the imaginative farm and forest vignettes that blossomed in places around our home. he used to sew and knit all sorts of acoutrements for them ... blankets, bedding, saddles, hammocks:) now he is weaving baskets and foraging for plant materials to weave with. we are onto the next stages which are equally amazing to witness.
    we missed snow this year, completely! i am resisting the pull towards spring, a little because the boys are greiving the lack of snow. but everything is turning green and buds are bursting where we are, so there is nowhere to go but forwards, as the wild edges begin to swell with life again. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, each new phase is so precious in its own way. Sewing and knitting for playmobile is so sweet! If it is snow you need, I know where you need to come!

      Delete