Wednesday, June 05, 2013

I thought I'd post a couple baby knits I've recently finished up for Ginny's yarn along. These little longies have been sitting in my knitting basket forever, with just cuffs to finish. I can't remember much about them now, what wool I used, or the pattern even, or why there are two matching pairs (I know I knit one as a gift and wasn't happy with it, but I can't remember why now,) but they will come in handy I'm sure. One looks newborn sized and the other is maybe 3-6 months? Luckily there was also a little ball of this super soft pretty brown yarn in the bottom of the basket too, so I could finish these off and put them in the finished basket (which is growing every day!)

There are two of these LTK pilot hats too, though the other tinier one is in the homebirth bin awaiting a tiny head to keep warm. I knit these by the pool in Mexico, so they are full of sunshine and love. I had lots of this lovely organic merino in my stash, which is a finer wool than the pattern calls for, so I knit this one a size up hoping for newborn size, but it was still a bit big.  I decided to knit the newborn size too, and it is perfectly teeny. I know these tiny knitted things wont fit for long, but I just can't resist their amazing smallness!

As far as reading goes I have been pulling easy reads off the shelf the last little while. I have been retiring early,  and reading a little before I fall asleep- up in the bedroom with the window flung open and the evening light streaming in. Such a lovely time of the day. I am reading Emily of New Moon, which I remember adoring when I was about 9 or so when I was making my way through every LM Montgomery book I could get my hands on, and it is still a sweet read. I need light and heartwarming books right now, so vintage young adult fiction it is!

I've also been sewing a bit- I made this new diaper bag from some pretty fabric my sister gave me some time ago. It is nice and deep and even has lined pockets! (I am proud of myself whenever I do things the "right" way when it comes to sewing, as I am more inclined to cut corners and throw things together quickly. Lined pockets is the kind of thing I usually would skip.) I also made a small zippered bag from the scraps to put things like baby toys etc that I don't want to get dirty in to bottom of the bag. I'm enjoying this nesting energy! I also worked on a couple gifts that I wont post about until they reach their recipients.

The boys have been busy too- this is their bread oven for play dough using wood off-cuts and the kitchen chairs,
and they spent most of a day pricing items in our house with very expensive price tags and demanding payment. They loved it when I would act outraged at having to pay, and gleefully continued this game for a very long time. It costs 125$ to use the stairs around here, and $2900 to look out the front window. It also costs to lay in our bed, open the fridge and use the toilet. Luckily they take (scrap-paper) cheques.

And today the sun peeked out a little in the afternoon and we were able to spend some time at the lake playing in the crazy cold water with friends. I am seeing my midwife weekly now, and everything is looking good- baby is growing and happy and all is well. Any day, or another month? We'll see!

7 comments:

  1. I love your baby knits and sewing. I am smiling reading about your boys play. I hope you enjoy these last moments of your pregnancy, such a wonderful and exciting time. I also wish you a beautiful birth... Whenever that happens... Sending love and many good wishes your way, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. what nice knits! very lovely! my best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taisa, the green and brown combo is so perfect for teh longies! I can't wait to see the little one who wears them. You are getting so close now, Mama!
    And my kids love to pricetag things too- and also put library pockets into our books to play library. :)
    HUGS Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, I do love the brown/green combo- there seems to be a lot of green and brown in my gender-neutral pallet! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has to pay to use the items in her own house! Ha! xoxox

      Delete
  4. So sweet - when about is your baby due to arrive? I love the pretend play - looks so much like our home.
    Also, I was looking back through some older posts of yours that i missed and your colorwork knitting is just beautiful!
    Warm wishes,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tonya! That colour work was fun, my big boys want me to start some for them now.

    ReplyDelete