Monday, August 19, 2013
The weather has changed from very very hot to very chilly in just a couple days, and suddenly fall is in the air. Willa Rose has woken up so much these past few days, full of smiles and gurgles and curious gazes at her brothers and the goings on. She is pure sweetness- so mellow and content and adorably sweet. I just can't get enough of her- I could snuggle that teeny body and smell that baby head all day long. Which is pretty much what I do.
I've been working on a little girly baby quilt for her, pulling out all the floral prints and vintage sheets from my stash and having such a terrific time at it. Willa has been happy to lay on a sheepskin in my sewing nook and watch me sew and I chat to her while I work, loving every minute of it.
The raspberries are epic this year, though the wasps are too- drilling holes in them and scaring away small boys who might otherwise live out there feasting on juicy berries. Perry has been braving the critters and bringing in bucket loads to fill the freezer and we've been eating lots too. We feel so blessed that this is one crop that grows so well here. The garden is a wild mess of weeds, but somehow we keep pulling zucchini and tomatoes and broccoli and tiny tomatoes from the jungle.
And what else? Someone gave the boys a stack of comic books and they are enamoured, spending so much time pouring over them, laying on the trampoline, or in the back of the car, or in the morning in their matching pirate PJ's. Has anyone discovered a more wholesome comic book than Archie? There has to be something better out there!
Ari has soccer camp this week and is over the moon with all that fun. The boys went on a rafting trip with our wonderful friends this weekend and had a grand time, and they all made it back to our place for a farm supper. Our neighbours cows have been getting out of their fences and into all sorts of trouble on our property- we have woken some mornings with our house surrounded by bellowing beasts (there are 100 of them!) No cows today, so maybe they are gone for good?
The boys have signed up for a bunch of exhibits for the fall fair- making play dough sculptures and egg carton animals and the like. I have been perfecting my cookie recipe for the gluten-free cookie category - I am totally going to take that 4$ first prize!
Now how's that for a random post- I think it is time for bed!
Goodnight friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












What a sweet little baby girl! I love those little snuggle bugs (my six month old is rapidly getting too wiggly for long snuggles).
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post - it gave me the warm and fuzzies.
Thanks MamaHuss!
DeleteOur library has a section of kid graphic novels now. There are many that are sort of icky, but also some great ones (like Pippi Longstocking!). Don't know if you can inter-library loan them? Or if you have a similar section at your library.
ReplyDeleteOooh, Pippi! I will have to check that out. Thanks Marlene!
DeleteOh your little girl is so adorable! I love this stage, before they are off and running!
ReplyDeleteMy kids are into comics as well (or graphic novels as the libraries like to call them now!?) My son reads Geronimo Stilton and my daughter reads Archie. They also like Tintin, Baby Mouse, and Rupert (which is by far the most innocent of them all, and they rhyme!). I do try to limit the comic reading and gently nudge them into books that challenge their reading and comprehension though. Magic Treehouse is another favourite around here that I think your boys would love!
xo
~ joey ~
Thanks for the suggestions Joey- I will check them out. I had forgotten about Rupert! And yes, I imagine there will be some Magic Treehouse in their futures!
DeleteOh my goodness, this post has me even more excited to see you! I can't wait to love up that sweet girl of yours (and the boys of course). She is getting baby chub...so so cute! 5 days....
ReplyDeleteI'm counting the days too- can't wait to see you three!
DeleteOoh. We just started Magic Treehouse and Benjamin does love it! You make three look so delicious, by the way! Was the leap from two to three easier than one to two? Willa Rose is adorable - I can see why you can't get enough of her!
ReplyDeleteHi Julia- yes, three is pretty delicious! And so far the leap has been much, much easier (the big age gap probably is a big factor-) but I have hardly been on my own with the 3 of them yet, so maybe ask again at a few weeks into September after Perry is back at work! (can you hear my knees knocking?)
DeleteOoh. We just started Magic Treehouse and Benjamin does love it! You make three look so delicious, by the way! Was the leap from two to three easier than one to two? Willa Rose is adorable - I can see why you can't get enough of her!
ReplyDeleteJust seeing those pictures of your sweet little one brought tears to my eyes... your blog helps to ground me and remind me of the simple joys of being a mom.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words Tonya!
DeleteOh that sweet little Willa! Wow! As for comic books, we like the Yakari series (http://www.amazon.com/Yakari-Great-Eagle-v/dp/190546004X)and Asterix and Obelix.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the suggestions, Catherine! I'll check them out.
DeleteThat's going to be such a beautiful quilt! I can't wait to see it done. And goodness those little ones of yours are so sweet...
ReplyDeleteThanks Melody- the quilt top is done now and I'm having such fun!
DeleteOh Taisa, so much goodness here! Your photos always make me feel so peaceful. Little Willa is so darling- and she reminds me of Dori a bit!
ReplyDeleteHUGS