Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Feeding our families


Healthy party food


I have party food on the brain right now as Ari's 8th birthday party is coming up and I need to get a plan for food! We always are trying to strike a balance at parties and gatherings  between keeping the kids eating as healthy as possible and letting them enjoy treats now and then. When we host parties we try and keep the food wholesome, but fun. While we were on the GAPS diet we had a few events to plan for, and found that we could find lots of food that everyone could enjoy that still fit our dietary requirements. It can get interesting when different families have very different food limitations- one gathering I remember from that time had vegan friends, us GAPS folks and friends that keep kosher. I think the only things we could all eat in common was the veggie tray and the coconut creme dessert topping! Now we eat most real foods, but members of the family still avoid cow milk and wheat (to avoid sore bellies!) so that is reflected in the kinds of food we choose for parties.


Some healthy party foods we enjoy:
- fruit kabobs 
- organic popcorn (we like it with butter and nutritional yeast)
- goat cheese and grain-free or rice crackers
- dips such as hummus, or olive tapanade
- local, grass-fed salami or sausage
- veggie tray with homemade yogurt/mayo dip
- chicken skewers
- olives and pickles
- watermelon
- punch made with juice and bubbly water and berries
- grain or gluten-free cupcakes or cake
- homemade goat milk or coconut icecream

for treats for goodie bags and such we usually stick with dark chocolate and the odd health-food store treat like maple candies or organic jelly beans. Sometimes we just buy a few nice bars of dark chocolate and some fancy foil wrappers from the kitchen store and wrap the squares up individually to make them go farther and seem more like a treat. We have made our own candies too, though for parties we tend to purchase things so the to-do list doesn't get out of hand.

 Ari has requested chocolate cake for his party (and we made him a chocolate cake on his real birthday too- lucky boy!) and I am going to use this delicious recipe for gluten free quinoa chocolate cake that I got from a friend who brings it to gatherings (much to my children's delight as they are used to having to forgo most cakes and party treats because of the wheat.) It is moist and rich and delicious and doesn't taste like quinoa at all. Just plain chocolate goodness. It makes great cupcakes too.

Chocolate Quinoa Birthday Cake

Ingredients
2 cups cooked quinoa (cooled)
1/3 cup milk 
4 whole eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup butter (melted and cooled)
1 cup date sugar or rapura
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt 

 In a blender, mix eggs, milk and vanilla and blend to combine.
Add the quinoa and the melted butter and then blend until smooth. 
Mix cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until well-combined.
Divide the batter between two greased pans and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool. 

frost and enjoy!

Enjoy a visit to the kitchen's of the other mamas in this blog series: 

Melanie from Our Ash Grove

Renee, from Heirloom Seasons
 
Melody, from Bespoke

 
Jules, from A Little Crafty Nest

 

 Sarah, from Our Island Home
 
Tonya, from Joyful Living


 
Heather, from Shivaya Naturals

 

19 comments:

  1. Now that's our kind of celebratory cake: one that looks special and actually taste good too. I use quinoa in savoury food but I would love to try this way. Sounds like you found a good balance in providing a healthy birthday party but with treats too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zena- it is always a balance for sure!

      Delete
  2. Its the most beautiful healthy cake ive ever seen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelia! It *was* pretty yummy!

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful list - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a birthday to celebrate this month too and will be enjoying food similar to your list. I make a chocolate cake with no flour at all, just eggs, chocolate and butter it is very rich and very tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great topic! I have a b-day party coming up this weekend so this is perfect timing to give me some inspiration for snacks. Chocolate quinoa cake looks good…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Sarah- have a great party!

      Delete
  6. That cake looks just lovely. That's not the chocolate cake, is it? I have a birthday coming and I might have to make myself the quinoa cake. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I realize that is a little confusing! (having some computer issues that are making it difficulut to access photos, so I had to settle for ones that I've used on the blog before...) this is another cake- a banana spelt one with yogurt topping- the quinoa one looks dark and chocolaty and I'll try to post a pic of that one too. I hope you enjoy the cake!

      Delete
  7. Great party food ideas, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Taisa! And I love your first photo...it made my mouth water. We eat so similarly that I was nodding about all your ideas for party foods. The only foods I might add to your list is quesadilla triangles and sushi. Our "loot" bags at parties usually have no candy at all in them, but I like your ideas on wrapping little treats yourself. Clever!!! And happy birthday coming up to all of you...Ari is 6 months older than my Forrest, who is still working on his letter, by the way :) Lots of love,
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quesadillas. And sushi is a great idea! I would be curious to know what you put in your loot bags- I have a hard time finding non-treat stuff that isn't junk. We did bubbles, wooden tops, and colour-your-own stickers, but filled in the holes with a couple treats. Ari is working on his letter too!

      Delete
  9. That cake looks delish! Do you think I can substitute date sugar with maple syrup or honey? Have a great week(end) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake recipe sounds an awful lot like our favourite chocolate cake recipe. We are all able to eat gluten at my house, but we have extended family that cannot. We came across the quinoa cake recipe when looking for another option for a family get-together at our house. Now it is our go-to chocolate cake whether the people attending are gluten intolerant or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! That cake looks amazing. I wish you were on Pinterest so I could tag it and never forget it! I hope I remember it for my littlest's 3rd birthday, coming up in November. Always love stopping by here - such warmth!

    ReplyDelete