Tuesday, May 22, 2007

laundry out to dry


Today was the first day that a beautiful day coincided with a laundry day, and I was able to hang out the clothes on the big line we have on the farm. I can see the line from the kitchen window and love noticing the different family's clothing out hanging- I always notice whose clothes are out and what sizes the kids clothes are. This post by tinyhappy got me thinking about the joys of laundry hanging, and the process of hanging it up. Group the clothing items with all the pants hanging together and all the underwear side-by-side? Hang each family members clothes separately? I tend to put all Ari's clothes together since it looks so cute blowing in the breeze.

I lived in a neighbourhood when I was going to university that did not allow residents to hang up their clothes (it looked bad for the tour buses apparently,) and I appreciate it all the more now. Hanging laundry has such a nostalgic feel- all our grandmothers and great grandmothers must have done this thousands of times. And it is a bonus that it is good for the environment, and that the laundry just looks lovely flapping in the wind. I especially love the feel of sheets hanging on the line, like cool airy forts just waiting for children to play in their midst. Here is a picture of Ari's current favorite past time. He has been trying so hard to say "dandelion" today I am almost ready to call it his second word. His first is "hot" which he says when we light the fire or turn on the oven in the kitchen. Nothing like "mama" so far, though we spend so much time together I'm not sure he has found the need for that one yet.

3 comments:

  1. I love your washing line!! The little clothes blustering on the line the blue sky dotted with clouds making the perfect background. I also like the thoughts on generations of women (and a few men I suppose) having participated in this activity, with the children of those generations running between the washing. It's amazing how much better your washing smells when it's been dried outside - even in the City!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 24, 2007

    this is such a beautiful post- i love your pictures of the small stripey clothes flying in the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the most perfect spring laundry photos ever! Perfect colors - bright kids clothes and a sunny sky. It totally made me go 'ahhhhh'

    ReplyDelete