Tuesday, April 08, 2008

we heart mangoes

I've been helping a friend with her organic food box business every second week and I seem to be ending up with a lot of produce. This can only be a good thing, what with being pregnant and having a hungry toddler to feed, but sometimes I find myself flipping through recipe books trying to figure out how to use the glut of broccoli or spinach or oranges. This week it was a case of ripe mangoes, very cheap. Getting rid of them is not likely to be a problem as Ari can eat one in a sitting all on his own (right down to the pit scraped clean in his teeth and left on the kitchen floor for mama to step on,), and is rather protective of these green-red jewels, but I managed to smuggle a few away from him to make up a batch of mango lassi. Nothing bioregional about this little drink, but boy did we enjoy the treat!Every last drop. I managed to stow away a glass for Papa in the fridge without mango boy noticing. I would post a recipe but I faked it- it went something like this: chop up a few really ripe mangoes, put them in a blender with some whole yogurt, cold water and a few drops of rose water. Blend it up and share with the ones you love.

3 comments:

  1. Certainly looks like he enjoyed it! That reminds me, I have to go and collect my friends veggie basket tonight as they are away for a few days and it is due to be delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! mango lassi is a big favorite around here.

    ReplyDelete