Friday, May 16, 2008

in the kitchen

For Ari's birthday this year, we wanted to get him a wooden play kitchen. I searched high and low for someone who makes or sells them in Canada (aside from the terrific Natural Pod, who had none in stock,) to no avail. I looked into getting one shipped from the States, and shipping alone was going to be over $100 not to mention duty and customs fees.

It finally occurred to us to ask some local woodworkers and a family friend who did some of the work on our recent renos was thrilled with the idea. He finished it up the weekend after Ari's birthday and showed up on the Sunday morning with his two wonderful kids (whom Ari adores- I think his 8 year-old daughter is Ari's first crush.) They were so excited to give Ari the gift which had been wrapped up in bedsheets and tape, and they all helped him unwrap it. Such excitement! And he was thrilled with it and started cooking for us straight away. Lots of lasagna and salmon being whipped up around here.
And veggie soup.mmmm.
He also likes to take his breaks in the warm oven. He's sporting the mama made apron in this picture, though it has already seen too many real true baking days to take a close up. The apple print on the pocket is super cute though, even when smeared molasses.

The kitchen is absolutely beautiful. Solid wood with knobs that turn and a little sink and shelves and a pull out cutting board and so much attention to detail. And to have Ari know whose hands built it for him is really special. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to move it out of this little corner of our own kitchen, even when the kids are grown and moved away!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, it is beautiful. Faith's play kitchen was an absolute favorite toy for years. Wish I had kept it for the little boys! Oh well. Your's looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 19, 2008

    That is so adorable! I've got to get my hubby to make one for our girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful kitchen! Ari is a lucky guy. Sending you all giant hugs and smooches. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 11, 2008

    that is a beautiful kitchen!

    ReplyDelete