Tuesday, March 10, 2009

storybook theatre

I managed to get my contribution to the "handmade with love" auction together just in time. Between our epic 10 day flu and a broken sewing machine, I wondered if I would get it done. But one of my landmates also sews and lent me her (much nicer) machine to use, and I got it together without even having to pull any all-nighters. We set it up the morning of the fundraiser to test it out and Ari was entranced- cementing my plans for gift making for his upcoming birthday.


I used the pattern from Bend the Rules Sewing, and decided on a storybook theme. I had a fat quarter of this beloved Hansel and Gretel fabric in my stash which was the inspiration, and managed to squeeze out two curtains from that little square. The rest of it is made from linen and needlecord, and those wonderful red dingleballs (ball fringe?) I couldn't have done it without the dingleballs.
It all folds up into this little case and can be hung up by a tension rod in any doorway. Though I love the end product, I was a bit growly with it while sewing. Sort of like making curtains- so many long straight edges to hem and potential to have things get wonky. I kept having to remind myself of the theme of the auction. Made with love, not made with a bad case of the grumps. And didn't I just say I planned to make another one of these? So it can't have been that bad.

And anyway, being treated to a puppet show before we even got out of our PJ's was a fine reward. Here, baby bird says "uh-oh, the thunder storm is coming!" Hopefully it will inspire many more stories and plays in its new home.

And me? I need to find myself a new sewing machine.

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Really really sweet. I love it! The little mushrooms are such a wonderful touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing! You clearly got all the crafting genes... I love the fairytale theme and I especially like the dingleballs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is absolutely fantastic! I am sure that Ari will have hours of fun entertaining you all in the months and years to come!! I am particularly partial to the red pompoms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! I am so glad your community pulled together for such a cause. It is so nice to know that people really do care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fabric. That's a really cute set up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that book! Except mine was a library copy... doesn't make sense to buy one now until I actually have opportunity to sew again. :) You made a very sweet puppet theater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Popping in from a link from mamakopp. Always like to look around local blogs as I am from the lower mainland BC.

    I love your theater! The mushroom are gorgeous!! I actually made the same theater for my girls this past Christmas. It was a wonderful pattern to follow for someone like me who pretends to know how to sew!

    ReplyDelete