Thursday, March 12, 2009

winter march

March is the very longest month of the year up here in the north. Though spring equinox is fast approaching, there is nothing spring-like about this month in our part of the world. We've had a recent spell of -20 weather and it is snowing outside as I write this. Crocuses, buds and bird song
are a good month or more away and no amount of wishing will make it otherwise.
I am trying to see this last month of winter as a sort of meditation- a chance at mindfulness, a reminder to see things as they are and not as I wish them to be. Because really, it is beautiful right now, sunshine and blue skys, chickadees flitting to and from our feeder. And my kiddos are a good reminder to be present- though Ari is getting a little tired of all the winter bundling, he can still have a rollicking good time in the snow, and is often hard to get back inside. And Dorian happily gazes out at the white world from his sling- the only world he's seen with his fresh little eyes.
So here's to being present in my northern home, to seeing things as they are and not as I want them to be, to embracing the end of winter- snowsuits and snowstorms and snowdrifts and all.

6 comments:

  1. very pretty. maybe good time for making those maple candy Beth passed on. I kinda need some snow actually and wish I could make those. But I really like what you said in the last sentence.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's us too. When the sun comes out it plays Spring mind games with us. It is so hard for me during these last months of winter. Those cheeks on your lovie dovie are just too much too handle. I wish I could snuggle up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO envious, all that snow, its so beautiful, we have had a really dry spell, like over 10 weeks and most days above 30degrees, so everything look nearly dead.
    I would love to spend a winter in the snow, I also can appriecate how difficult this time can be with little ones, all day inside.
    So if ever you would want to house swap for a winter,(we live close to the beach) let me know. I'm serious:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to say, love Dorians cheeks, he looks so healthy.
    Great puppet theatre, stories told seem to have more magic in them, than read ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So do you go through a horrible month of mud, only later? That's what March is like for us in southern New England -- one big pit of boot-sucking mud for a month solid. Definitely my least favorite month. So I was thinking a bunch of snow might (just might) be better. Unless it just made April the miserable mud month instead (cuz then, that would be worse!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harvest Mom- yup, we do get mud in April, though not usually all of April, so perhaps we get a little less of it than you do. But really, we are usually well into may before we could, say, put a blanket down for a picnic. That's what we get for living so far north!

    And thanks for the cheek-lovin comments! He is pretty darn delicious if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete