Our baby walks! Dori has been walking for just over a week now and he is ever so proud of himself. Oh that baby toddle with the gleeful grin is just almost too much for a mama! This past weekend I took the boys to a family dance (so.much.fun!) when Perry had an evening work commitment, and Dori was walking all over the hall, trying to keep up with all the big kids. I was getting teary watching his shaky but ever-so-determined little steps away from me and into the sea of children. Oh baby boy, you are growing so very fast.
I wish I had some better pictures, the light is so tricky these days and I've been less inspired with photo taking. And no, we don't always dress him in smocks. He is wearing one of the preschool paint smocks for a project we were working on that I hope to post about soon. Though I do often look longingly at the pictures of the little boy in one of our favorite winter books- "Ollies Ski Trip" by Elsa Beskow, published in 1907. Smock, striped stockings under short pants and long curls. Why don't we dress baby boys like that anymore?
Though my new little walker could probably do without the clogs or the button-up boots. And he's got a ways to go on the curls.
So precious!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the smock too.
did you make it?
Hurray Dori! That is one rockin' smock. Hugs and kisses to you and your boys. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteLove Elsa and that sweet daring babe of yours. Anna
ReplyDeleteWhat a love! Can't believe he's already there....
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone! And yes April, I did make the smock- I made a bunch of them from a vintage pattern for the preschool. They were super fast to sew and work great. And cute too!
ReplyDeleteI used this pattern, without the pocket and squared off a bit, if anyone is interested.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.themayfly.com/weblog/smock_pattern.pdf
And he's off!
ReplyDeleteAnd that means even less rest for mama!
I love the smock...although it is reminding me of the pile of fabrics I have had since my daughter was born, waiting to be turned into smocks. How many has she had in her 2.5 years? Um, that would be one, still unfinished, under a pile in the sewing room...
He's adorable! I love it when they first start to walk and the world of exploration really opens up for them.
ReplyDeleteSmocks are great. On the way back from our cabin last I bought some fabric for aprons/smocks!
Yay Dorian!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree, I never have dressed my babe's in trendy jeans,check out Peter from blueberry farm, love his shirt!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet when they first start walking. I agree the smock is very cute!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! Little ones are so precious. I love your blog. It gives me lots of inspiration!
ReplyDeleteIf you don't mind me asking (and have the time to answer)Where did you get his little shoes? What type do you recommend?
Ash in Missouri USA
Thanks everyone. I will have to take a closer look at the Peter in blueberryland book for clothing- it is in the "someday gift box."
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the clmpliments Ash. The booties are Roobeez, which are easy to find here and lined. From everything I've read, I think soft soles are the way to go. I think the soft star shoes are so very lovely,
http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=41
and we've liked See Kai Run shoes when they get a bit bigger. I am struggling now with what to put on the feet of a new walker out in the snow! Show boots just seem so heavy and hard, but he needs to be warm. For now he is just on my back with his snow suit pulled over his slippers!