Thursday, February 11, 2010

where we've been


::shells and rocks in a tray from a vintage suitcase- items are for sale in Ari's toy store::

The days have been flying by in a blur- there are various reasons for not getting here very often- a sick kid- (just one and a short illness... *sound of me knocking firmly on wood*) a slooow computer, little inspiration for photo taking, and general mid-winter lack motivation for just about anything. I don't even let myself dream about spring this time of year- I accept that this really is the middle of winter for us. But I do have a lot less of what my mom would call "oomph." It just feels like there is only enough energy to get through the days, and accomplishing anything more feels like so.much.work. you know?

But these terrific kids of mine keep my spirits high despite that lagging energy. They implore me to dance around the kitchen with them (and oh Dori's little bobbing, spinning dance moves are almost too cute to bear,) and invent crazy stories and snuggle me up all day long. It is a good life. ::Ari's toy shop. Every toy from near and far must be gathered together. Luckily this game has a built in clean-up mechanism. All toys have to be payed for, then driven home in the cart and arranged nicely on the shelves back home!::

So we've been doing a lot of playing...
:playsilk "ringtoss"::

And making stuff,
::Knitting up the yarn Perry and Ari dyed me for my birthday. I wasn't sure what to make with is, but settled on a little knitted doll for the preschool and is just perfect for this project.::::A simple garter stitch needlebook made from leftover wool from my very first knitting project ever (recognize it Nik?) For Anna's Children's Year Craftalong group. It knit up so quickly and will hold the big sewing needles the kids use at the preschool.::

::Ari's first sculptural piece- a robot! He drew the face on himself and glued the pompom onto the head with about 300 glue dots. He was mighty proud.::

There has also been lots of walks in the woods and regular tries at cross-country skiing. The weather has been pretty crummy for it lately, but he is a determined little chap and heads out anyway. His brother is pretty determined too- to toddle about in his big boy boots.

Though there is a lot of this-

Happy Friday to you all!

5 comments:

  1. I love the games kids make up - so sweet. That is one awesome robot too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know exactly what you mean about the midwinter lack of motivation. . .I am there with you!
    I love the boys' imaginative play- and the robot is awesome!
    We've been talking about getting cross-country skis as a family for next year- Asa will be going on 4 so he should be able to do it too.
    I have been thinking about joining that craft-along. . .maybe I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the robot and the box of treasures. Children always love to collect things that are special, especially in compartments.

    We are having a midwinter slump as well and I am so unmotivated.

    Where did you get that beautiful doll house I see in the background? Did someone you know build it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I.know.what.you.mean.
    about.no.energy. It is definitely winter for me, but I hope you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am looking really hard for it. I love how your needle case turnes out. You will have to email me a picture so I can post it on the blog. Have you seen the others? I like the one with the felted acorn. Peace and love. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy- the dollhouse was something we had family all pitch in for a couple years ago. I just noticed that the shop Quiet hours toys- that we bought it from is going out of business. We sure love it though. It gets played with a lot and it it is so pretty. In fact I think this is the most often asked question on this blog!

    ReplyDelete