Monday, March 01, 2010

birthday love

We celebrated Papa's birthday this weekend with two cakes, some homemade treats and some time for art making in his studio. The boys and I got right into the potato printing (February craftalong,) and we made cards and a crown for Papa with their prints.

Earlier in the week I set them up with wooden frames and watercolour paints and they made these lovely photo frames for their Papa's office at his school. This was such a quick and easy craft and they turned out really lovely. When the paint had dried I brushed on a coat of mod podge and picked out photos that I knew would make Perry smile. Ari on a train with a look of sheer wonder on his face:


And smiley Dorian on a swing.

I frogged the hat I was making Perry and made him wrist warmers instead to replace the ones I made him a few years ago when I was just learning to knit. These ones don't cut off his circulation. And I will make a matching hat, I just can't seem to make this pattern I'm using work for me. I have dreams of presenting my love with a whole sweater someday, but I think it is a few birthdays off still. I did get him a funky new wallet from here to replace the ragged one he was holding on to. But he discovered it has no spot for coins. Any ideas for a not-too-girly change purse? Something I could make him?
The potato print idea inspired me to finally play around with the rubber stamp making supplies I had gathered up awhile ago. Lots of room for improvement, but so fun to play with. My funny little card for Perry.
We had a yummy supper of green curry with local shrimp. Green curry always brings back memories of traveling in southeast Asia together, and is something we often have made for each other. And these shrimp, they are amazing. So incredibly tasty.

And the whole weekend was filled with love and such gratitude to have this incredible, beautiful man to share this life with. Happy Birthday my love.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like a great birthday weekend!
    Andy also works in a school- he's a music teacher. :)
    If I was to make a non-girly change purse for Andy. . .I'd probably make it out of some brown hemp-cotton I have, and just do a rectangle with a little zipper. Is that girlie though? I just don't know. . .:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie- I was thinking of a little zip pouch, simple brown would be nice. He isn't worried about things being too girly at all- but sometimes when I look over my fabic stash there isn't much that doesn't either say "mama" or "little boy," ya know? But I do have some nice brown linen that would work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shrimp looks SO lovely. My mouth is watering.

    It seems like lots of fathers are having birthdays this week!

    Happy thaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday again to a well loved daddy and husband. Those framed pictures are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your potato prints, and those shrimp look yummy. Anna

    ReplyDelete