
I took the boys to the bike park the other day. Perry had taken them a few times, but it was new to me, and I felt my heart enter my throat as they both headed happily to the ramps and narrow tracks. Ari on his peddle-less bike and Dori toddling along, they were each finding the areas where they felt both safe and challenged. I watched in amazement as these boys of mine delighted in testing their limits and playing on the edges (literally!) of their comfort zones.



This is all so new to me. I was not that kind of kid. I was the sort that had to have the book pried out of her hand and get shooed out the door if fresh air and exercise were going to be part of the equation. Sure I climbed trees and skied and rode a bike, but not like this. This is something different. This is a boy who fell several times and said “good thing I have my crash helmet on!” and “Woah! That was COOL!” When it comes to physical pursuits I have always liked to feel safe. I cannot think of a time in my life where I would have declared falling down “cool”.
But the thing is- it is cool. It is ever so cool to watch these boys in their little boy bodies putting all of themselves into learning something new. It is so cool to see them challenging themselves fully - not in a daredevil way, or proving themselves sort of way, just doing it because it is fun and because they can. They are gutsy little souls and I love it.
And, for the record, I was doing some testing of my own comfort zones. If I do say so myself, I think it was rather brave of me to let them do these things without the words “be careful” or “that one looks too hard for you,” leaving my mouth. Instead I cheered them on, stayed close but out of the way, and felt thankful to get to have this job as a mom of these amazing kids, these boys who will keep pulling me out of my safe places and asking me to challenge myself. What a gift to be reminded everyday that living fully means taking chances, finding your balance even when it means crashing now and then, and delighting in it all.

May your weekend be full of fun and adventure!
What a great park! It looks like so much fun - my boys would love it, and I have to agree that being a mum to boys can be a bit challenging at times.... ;)
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I have four boys, but my oldest is the bookworm type you described. Much more my comfort zone! I am learning to relish all of their boyness, as well. yay, for boys!! :)
ReplyDeleteI really love this post about your little boys- all you have said rings so strongly with me and my little boys~ I was also the bookworm type who had to be shooed outdoors- I never took any risks, even now I lean toward the ultra cautious side(though now I love to be outdoors!~) I have had to catch myself over and over telling my boys to be careful or that they are "too young" or something is too dangerous, etc. etc.
ReplyDeleteYes, falling down is SO cool- according to Ollie Winter! And Asa follows everything he does with admiration- I imagine Dori must do that too with Ari!
And oh my, what a great bike park! Ollie loves it :)
I'd be frightened too with all those ramps! Looks like a really cool place to ride!
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are so beautiful, T!
Great post! I feel so proud of your boys and of you. I totally know how you feel about staying close but not saying all those usual comments. The bike is cool. No pedals, huh?
ReplyDeleteI love it too! There is such a difference between Rebe and Benny in how they are and it's def a nature not nurture thing. I love what you wrote about trying to be brave and not say too much that would make them think you doubt their ability. I am also trying to come to terms with the fact that the kids are very aware of their own limits and won't tend to over stretch them. Great post and what a cool bike park x
ReplyDelete