Something has shifted in the past month or so with these boys of mine. Dorian has been talking so much all of a sudden, and Ari has suddenly started viewing him as a kid and friend rather than just a baby that comes along for the ride (and gets into his stuff!) They have been playing together so much- sometimes I'll find myself working away on something and realize I have been getting so much done because they are off playing happily by themselves. This is nothing short of a miracle. 
::the boys tend their "shop" together::

:: Ari helping his brother down the river path::
:: playing in the trees:: I have plenty of friends with kids who are close in age who assured me it wouldn't always be so crazy, that my boys would start to play together more as Dori neared two, but it was hard to believe. There just seemed to be such a gap in where each of them were at, and their needs seemed often to conflict. But now the day really has come and I feel like doing a happy dance. My boys! They are sweet brothers and friends!
::serving ice cream at the backyard ice cream stand::
:: hiding in the grass. Hmmm, where could they be?::
:: oh! There they are!::
:: Two big boys in a single chariot::Of course with all the play comes plenty of conflict too. They are often vying for the same toy, and they frustrate each other on a regular basis. But Dorian is more able to understand now, and is learning to express himself more clearly (I've been teaching him to say "No Ari!" instead of just whining when Ari tries to pick him up and carry him etc.) I am regularly needing to keep my cool and practice my conflict resolution skills. But I see them learning so much about how to relate to each other, and how to communicate and how to work with other people. Siblings are good teachers of these important life lessons.

::playing with some gnomes in a cave::
And really, the fighting is pretty minor. Mostly they play. They are firefighters, and fairies, and sea otters, and foxes and noble knights. They fight battles and take care of their fairy babies. They build towers and drive trains and find ways to get across the shark infested living room together.
It seems like sometime this summer, when I wasn't looking, these sweet boys of mine became best friends. And that makes this mama-heart so very happy.
What a great post!
ReplyDeleteMy boys are 5 years apart, and I really wish they were closer in age so they could bond closer. Hopefully they will when they get older and the years between will not be in their way. But having a sister in the middle can be great too ;)
what a lovely post, and some gorgeous pictures!
ReplyDeleteOh my heavens, I could've written this exact post (about Ollie and Asa)- from the becoming friends, to playing by themselves, to the conflict in their play, to knights and sea otters! <3 Right now as I am here they are out playing together- birds of prey.
ReplyDeleteI also need to work on my conflict/resolutions skills- it can be tough to not react with a knee-jerk reaction and get so frustrated with them and their frustrations with each other! But like you, the coflicts really are mild in the end, and they are the best of friends- and I love it!
Hugs to you and your boys! Aren't little boys so wonderful?!
So sweet! My youngest two children are 4 and 2, and I LOVE watching them play together. I do think that there's a special type of bond as well when they are the same gender - my older two are boy/girl and were never as close.
ReplyDeleteI agree, nothing has captured my heart quite like the bond my sons share. Its so sweet, and I fall in love over and over when they hug or kiss...and now they have a third!!! I hope it stays this sweet.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the sweet comments. And yes, little boys are wonderful. I am enjoying them so much!
ReplyDeleteOh so sweet those boys of your.
ReplyDeleteLovely! They are growing so fast. I can't wait to see you guys.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that wonderful. I know so many children in families that just can't get along - most of the time because they are separated because of school and this bond is lost. My boys are inseparable, they do have their crazy moments but they are so few. Lovely to see that we can share this lifestyle! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely message. I see your life is very similar to ours, in the photos and play you've captured it only gets better, and they mommy gets left out because they are so busy on their own..
ReplyDelete