Sunday, January 23, 2011

green vest

I finished this little green vest this week, though that last little garter stitch part took almost as long as the whole rest of the vest- as the weather has warmed and we are getting out more, and have been out visiting and playing I've not been able to just sit by the fire and knit like last week. Dorian is pretty thrilled with his new mama-made vest, the only vest we had for him was way to tight in the neck for his little noggin and it was traumatic to try and get it over his head, so this one with a nice wide neck is welcomed. I loved knitting with this summery colour during all the snow and cold. I found two skeins of this wool (knit picks: wool of the Andes in "grass",) in a sale bin at a craft fair before Christmas, and so my challenge was to squeeze this vest out with just the two skeins. It was close, but I managed with just a wee bit to spare.


This is the second pebble vest I've knit for Dori- the second green pebble vest I've knit for Dori, in fact. The first one I knit on larger needles to size it up a little, as the pattern is only sized for newborns. This one I made some changes to the pattern this time, I added a bunch of stitches to size it up to size 2-3 and I simplified it a bit. Though I love the buttons on the original, I found I never undid them, and just pulled it over his head, so I I decided to knit this in the round and just skip the button holes. I made the back shorter than the pattern called for too- by the time I got to that back section, I was wondering if I was going to have enough wool to finish, so it is the same front and back, which works just fine.



















And this is one of Dori's favourite games these days- it is called "Ghee." It starts with a mad face, and then he makes us laugh by saying "Gheeeee!" and grinning wildly. This is often repeated many times. He's a fun little monkey, this one.























And here is a picture of Dori in his last pebble vest- he's about a year and a half here I think.

A few days back Ari got very involved in a project making boats and people and water skis. It is fun to watch him really start to get engaged in creative projects and to be able to put his ideas into motion. He kept adding to his boat and was so excited. It had to stay out to show until Papa got home, of course.

(and yes, he is very much in need of a haircut... he wants to keep it long, so we've settled on a haircut that will get the hair out of his eyes but still be "cool" and "awesome" and "rockin'." I am not qualified to give him this haircut however, so we will be bringing a magazine with a picture of a little boy with this haircut to the hairdressers this week. He's four, not fourteen, right?)

Playing with friends last night. The cowboy-detective-jester pirates are a fierce bunch, beware of the sequined foam swords and all that nasty pirate-talk.
Goodnight mateys!

6 comments:

  1. That's first picture of Dori is the sweetest thing ever! Melts my heart. I love you guys and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pebble! Isn't that a great pattern? And especially love the cheery grass green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Dori's awesome vest. You are such a crafty Mama. I particularly love the color. Dori's faces are priceless. You have two lovely little monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dori is so so cute and I love his new vest. The cowboy-detective-jester pirates scared me there for a sec! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorion looks so cute in that vest, we love vests around here, they seem to stay cleaner than jumpers, no dirty cuffs.

    ReplyDelete