

We went skating on a local lake the other day. We arrived just after the sun had set and the light was a perfect crystal blue. There is something peaceful and magical about skating on winter lakes. Some dear soul has been keeping a track clear around the entire lake, and Perry and I decided the next time we have childcare we are going to pass on a supper out and instead bring our skates down to do the whole circuit. A good date I think ( though it will be slow going, I am a pretty wobbly skater!)Ari is really loving skating, though he loves most of all to be swept along in speedy Papa's arms! They took a bit of a tumble at which point we realized that we'd forgotten to put Ari's helmet on him- luckily it wasn't anything serious- just a good reminder about how important it is to protect those little noggins!
We have hardly been outside since these pictures were taken, the temperature has dropped and it is just too cold out there to have much fun, especially when the wind blows. We've been having some lovely cozy days inside though, keeping the wood stove roaring, knitting and cooking while the boys get lost in some lovely play. They are really enjoying each other these days- I even managed an extended phone call with my sister while they read books and played with their dolls, dressing them, slinging them, tucking them into bed. Moments like that I just want to bottle!
I do sense though, that the boys are getting a little tired of being indoors, I think I'll need some tricks up my sleeve to get through the day tomorrow... I have a book of cut-out flying dragons somewhere I am going to have to dig out... and maybe some cookie baking is in order.
I hope you are all keeping warm and dry and cozy friends.
wow what an amazing picture!! and your day of cut out dragons and cookies sounds wonderful! hugs Laura x
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to let you know that I passed your lovely infant hat on to Georgina at Three Joyful Pixies.
Love and light.
I'm loving these updates on your winter days...sounds so similar, except for the lack of snow and ice ;-) My boys have just learned to ice skate and we long for a natural patch of ice for them to soar on! We will have to drive far one day with lots of planning...isn't it great when your boys enjoy each other so much, and you can find within that the space to re-energize yourself? I love that flow, yet it can never be predicted here! I receive it as the blessing it is!!
ReplyDeleteHappy winter-ing...
~Erin x
nettlejuice- yay! That's lovely to hear- another sweet baby head kept warm in the soft blue hat! Thanks for letting me know.
ReplyDeleteerin, there are two lakes to skate on up here, you should bring the boys someday! And yes, it is amazing when things click like that, nothing that can be counted on for sure, but lovely when it happens!
ReplyDeleteThat - like the cold wind, but in a much better way - is breathtaking! Those mountains looming over that lake seem close enough to touch through my screen. I may have to put my mittens on!
ReplyDeleteI was watching water tumbling in a crack in a frozen river today, and could hardly believe that there are days in the summer I stand in that same water just to cool off. Seasons are such a blessing.
(this is Marlene - weird new google identity. Still working on it.)
Oh just to imagine so much winter right now. Our two days of snow is being washed away by the rain. It sounds wonderful- especially the skating. If we come out will P give me a speedy ride?
ReplyDeleteWow how fun! I miss ice skating, we have lots of snow in Kentucky, but no good skating ponds.
ReplyDelete