


The party for Ari this weekend was so much fun. It was raining when people arrived and since I hadn't planned much aside from letting the kids roast hot dogs and run around outside, I was a little worried. But the sun came out and it turned into the first really lovely day of the year and everyone was just so happy to be outside visiting and playing and enjoying the day. The one activity I had planned for the kids- making and decorating pinwheels-never happened as there was too much running, giggling, fort-building, kite flying, sand-ice cream-serving-fun happening out in the sun.
I wish I had taken a picture of the gifts people brought (or really, of most of the party- I just was too busy enjoying it!) but they were perfect for our boy. There were several special rocks and seashells chosen by his friends, hand-made art, a homemade cd of favorite tunes, a kite,a story box to inspire made up stories, marbles. The simplicity of the gifts made me love my friends even more, and Ari was thrilled!

This was the cake Ari requested. White cake (I used Orangette's Banana cake recipe, only subbed applesauce for the bananas and it was yummy,) with strawberries, vanilla yogurt topping (I just strain it for a bit-) and chocolate sprinkles. Pretty good taste for a 5-year-old I'd say. We served it with homemade vanilla icecream and we were just able to squeeze out pieces for the 40(!) people that came.




::popsicle weather!::
Sunday was beautiful- we spent most of the day in the garden building a new composter and working to layer the compost properly- something we've been wanting to do for years. We stayed out well after the kids bedtime enjoying the day. Which was good since it has been raining ever since and we've been spending more time inside. Though we did head to the lake for a walk with friends in the rain yesterday, which was lovely in its own way.
And as if the sunshine and party were not enough excitement for one weekend, we were able to attend the first farmers market of the year (my kids favorite thing in the world- There are bunnies to pet, and cookies to eat and pony rides and spanikopita and live music and all their friends! So much fun.) We also went to a community arts event with dancing and a symphony performance, and then there was this- this amazing huge basket of wool!

My friend gave me a heads up about a garage sale that was selling off lots of yarn and fiber items. I got up fresh and early and scored this incredible stash of wool, bamboo needles, wool wash and the beautiful basket! Most of the skeins were being sold from .75 cents to 2$! I will be set for a good while with all this yarn. I was positively giddy! I just keep sifting through it, feeling each skein, trying to decide what my first project should be. Oh, the possibilities!
This week has continued to be busy, with visits and appointments, the house is a bit of a wreak and we are all a little tired, but happy. Planning some down time, some garden planning and some knitting. I hope you are well, dear friends.
Yarn! What a great find.
ReplyDelete