Feeling rather despairing this morning after the results of yesterday's election. Thankfully the results in our riding were great- re-electing our wonderful, progressive NDP candidate (who happens to be a friend of ours,) but I am shocked and saddened by what the country has chosen. Our very own George W. For 4 years. I am trying to find the positive in this- maybe this will be what we need to mobilize for some real change?We watched the results with other NDP supporters last night, and though we've tried not to burden the kids with our weighty political woes, they certainly picked up the feel of disappointment in the room last night. I feel the need now to "practice optimism" as a friend said this morning- for my children and for myself. So here I am, taking some deep breaths and trying to focus on what is good in the world. Like my beautiful children and my big boy who is turning 5 tomorrow. Politics aside, we have some celebrating to do!

::self portraits in the car mirror::
I completely remember the feelings that you are experiencing, Tai. You have so much to be excited about with all the NDP candidates elected, however. I would be delighted if we had a viable liberal party here that was an alternative to our Democratic party~ which I find moderate at best.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to you both tomorrow! I know your celebration will be beautiful. xox
We hear you! We've had our very own conservative government (supposedly tempered by the fact that they are in a coalition with our liberal democrats) for almost a year now......job cuts in the public sector galore with a lot more to come- and I know our economy/budget is screwed but still.....
ReplyDeleteAnd to top it all we have Scottish elections on Thursday - could have a majority for the Scottish National Party - not sure that's a good thing either!
As you say - lets hope that not too much damage can be done during the period and it mobilises people...
Oh Tai. . . hugs! I know your feelings well!
ReplyDeleteOH gosh, Ari is turning 5!!!! <3
And you are so pretty, such pretty brown eyes!
hugs again
We talked already about this but I'm noticing that it's something I still can't seem to allow myself to *fully* think about. I'm aware and even talking casually about the election results but it's hard for me to let them really sink in. It seems like almost more than I can bear.
ReplyDeleteI didn't vote for Nathan, mostly because I knew he'd win and I wanted to throw my bit of support to the national green party. It seems as though Nathan's support is in large part thanks to who he is personally. One day, I hope to meet him. He certainly seems capable to speak on many of the serious issues that we strongly believe in.
I'm hopefully that the bloc will fade away and that the liberal party will either adjust and modernise or melt into one of the left leaning parties. We need less options to split our left votes over! I'm strongly in support of the Green Party and hope May's being elected is just the start of the serious change we need to see.
Sara- Yes, we are lucky to have the NDP and other left-leaning parties to vote for, that is good to remember. We are excited by how well the NDP did, but our system is flawed and allows a government to lead the country that only 39% of the voters voted for. Clearly change is needed.
ReplyDeleteDi- hoping your election today has better results than ours!
Melanie- thanks love :)
Annie- I know a few people who voted green for the same reason. If electoral reform is ever going to happen it is good to have some numbers for the greens- May's win is such a good news story for this election! I'll introduce you to Nathan sometime. (maybe at the festival!) He's great. We are so lucky to have a real human being with actual concerns for people and the environment for our MP.
Yes, I hear you! We were pretty happy to see our Quebec Province become Orange, but very, very disapointed for the rest of Canada... I love your blog by the way!
ReplyDeleteI agree!!
ReplyDeleteMy kids have definitely picked up on my negativity, so I'm trying to keep it on the down-low now. Soooooo frustrating! East vancouver has a strong NDP political leaning and it was stunning to me (not in a good way) that although I feel surrounded in my community by a certain mind-set, the rst of the country feels different. I remember when George W was re-elected and I couldn't believe the US could do something so stupid. Ah, now I get it. I wish I didn't.
Here's hoping some good will come of it.