We went strawberry picking this week. The strawberries are late, even for here, but they are huge and sweet and abundant. We had a lovely day at our friends U-pick, the boys were keen to help and then had a picnic in the shade with the turkeys while we adults picked on. We brought home nearly 50 lbs and have been busily processing them. We froze lots and made 20 jars of strawberry preserves and then stuck the rest in the food drier. The dried ones turned out so yummy that we are heading back for more this week so we can make a whole bunch of those for the winter.
While I was washing and hulling the berries, Dorian worked in his kitchen, making me snacks and tea and strawberry pie.
There is something so satisfying about putting local foods down for winter. Even as we celebrate the summer sunshine, we are getting ready for the cold months when a dried strawberry or a bowl of strawberry yogurt is going to taste like a little piece of heaven.
We are heading off for another camping adventure for the next few days. I'll pop in when we get back. See you then!










Wow, that is late!!! If you have time please tell me more about drying the berries?! I've tried it before and they turned out awful!
ReplyDeleteWe like to puree strawberries with a glug of maple syrup and freeze it in jars to add to yogurt throughout the year!
~ joey ~
How wonderful to still have strawberries!
ReplyDeleteYummy! Dried strawberries are so great!
ReplyDeleteDear Taisa, these photos are so beautiful- I love the first one, and I love that quilt! Dori in his own kitchen, that is what Asa does. I love it. :)
ReplyDeleteI know what you feel about putting down local food for winter, there is a warm security to it.
<3
ah, you are in and out like we are :0 good and yet i feel so behind and my blog is suffering...glad my "audience" is patient !!
ReplyDeletei never realized you could dehydrate strawberries...do you have am electric dehydrator? I'm still weighing in on whether i would really use it, but i know not how to use one, so I suppose that is what holds me back the most!
Enjoy your harvest, organic berries and putting fruit by has been delightful this year...my best year yet. xo