I'm knitting along today, with this rainbow fish hat I am trying to finish up for an auction at an anti-pipeline arts event this weekend. It is nearly there, just the tail and fins to finish and some eyes to sew on. I had hopes to make a couple, but this is it for me. I look forward to seeing what other knitters have made, as well as all the arts, poetry and music people are contributing.
I am reading "The Forest Lover" by Susan Vreeland right now. It is a fictionalized account of Emily Carr's life and I am enjoying it, but moving through it slowly as I am just too tired to pick it up most evenings lately.
The kids have been in this amazing groove of playing the past while, and they played for 3 hours straight today- off in their own world- while I worked outside pulling up sod for a new bed and picking nettles. Heaven.
We found some great nettle patches this year, and I've been freezing and drying them and making soup. I am excited to be getting a bunch prepared for winter this year. I have been wanting to do that for ages, but never found enough or got them picked in time, so every jar put away feels like a little victory. And food preservation has a certain novelty in May that is not there so much by September when we've been drowning in food. Right now everything is new and fresh and exciting.
Goodnight friends.


Oh what a fabulous yarn for the fish!!
ReplyDeleteI so wish we could find nettles. We may have to try to cultivate them ourselves- we drink it by the gallon for allergies, and because it's so darn good. I'd love fresh ones, to eat them too.
<3
Oh, I just assumed it grew everywhere! I'd send you some seeds but I 'm not sure about cross boarder nettle laws! I've got to get Perry drinking it again for allergies- tis the season! xoxo
DeleteRainbow wool, how perfect!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you were given some time to do mama things. It's funny how "chores" seem so much easier when the little ones are occupying themselves!
Hope you didn't get the drizzly weather we got here after our glorious sunny days. It made me foolishly think that summer had come early!
xoxo
~ joey ~
Oh I love the colours in your yarn! I hope you will show us some pictures of your project when finished. I love nettle tea. I am also looking forward to filling up our now almost empty cupboard of preserves. We have already put away some dandelion jam and any day now we will start preserving some rhubarb. You are right, preserving at this time of the year is especially exciting and nowhere near as exhausting as in August and September!
ReplyDeleteOoh, dandelion jam- I have to try that! I need to get to the rhubarb too- it is the one thing that grows without any effort, but I often forget to do much with it.
DeleteHere is my recipe if you are interested: http://sarah-ourislandhome.blogspot.ca/2012/05/dandelion-jam-confiture-de-pissenlits.html
Delete