Tuesday, May 08, 2012





It has been feeling very much like spring around here, with our laying hens out in a larger pasture, the arrival of the baby chicks and all the entertainment they provide, and green things sprouting up and growing all over the place. There has been lots of garden work to attend to as we tend our seedlings and plant some more, and get the garden beds ready for planting over the next couple weeks. 




There has also been a lot of rain and wind and some chilly days, and so we've been staying entertained inside too- reading lots of books, (we are still working our way through Little House in the Big Woods- I love that some small child carefully coloured each illustration in this thrifted copy with pencil crayons. I can totally imagine doing this as a little girl!) watching the birds from the living room window and working on various indoor projects. We put up the hummingbird feeder and Ari's new birthday feeder that attaches to the window, providing endless entertainment. 


We also got Ari a bird book that has a little player on the side that will play all the bird calls and the boys have been practicing their calls and learning lots of new ones. On the evening of Ari's birthday he asked us to take him outside bundled in a blanket so he could call an owl using a call from the book and a Great Horned Owl answered him back, much to his delight!


I love finding these little writing experiments around the house.
Spring soup made with the dwindling winter stores of root veggies- rutabaga, cabbage, carrot, onion, garlic, the last of the canned tomatoes and some new spring greens- dandelion, thyme and lovage. Very tasty.
Today we were outside pruning raspberry canes, planting early potatoes and field peas, turning the compost pile (which is heating up so hot it steams when I turn it! Amazing, though rather smelly at this point- the boys go running in the other direction when I do this job!) and the boys continuing their ongoing game of "Alex and Fonz" (Green Valley inspired.) I love this time of year. 
Happy Tuesday friends.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Taisa...I love it all! And to hear a return message from a Great Horned Owl ~ ooooh, so special! Lots of love,
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have a bird book with sounds. The boys spend literally hours listen to it, its fantastic! And you just reminded me I should get our compost going, I think it might be thawed by now :) And happy belated birthday to your boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, so much to comment on. I love the photo of the chickens walking with the boys and the baby peeps, too much cuteness! I just read about field peas the other day, will you be drying them? I absolutely love the table and nature corner. With a bird feeder at the window, I'd never leave that spot! And then to have an owl answer back, that is just too cool!
    Thank you for sharing your photos. I love to hear the garden talk too! I noticed our compost bin was covered in tiny flies today, I don't think that's a good sign!?
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to spring, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are having a wonderful spring. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love the little house in the big woods too here! I would love to know what book you have that also has the bird songs in it. This sounds like such a great idea! And I love that he wanted to go out for the owl...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just finished Little House in the Big Woods! It looks like a magnificent spring there. All of your food looks incredible! xo

    ReplyDelete