Monday, June 04, 2012

This is what it looks like around here these days:
:: busy boys working on one project or another,
::dandelions 
:: green things to plant out (these are some gooseberries that really need to get into the ground.)

::projects projects and more projects. This is two very excited little boys helping to load wood their papa has just cut with the chain saw into the farm truck. 
:: buckets of homemade organic fertilizer bubbling away- compost, comfrey and nettles.


:: a 3 year old who sometimes just needs to snuggle on mama's back for awhile (And a mama who is still sometimes too cold inside her house to take her hat off!)


:: some much needed rain,
:: rainy day projects- the boys have been loving these simple homemade books for dictating and illustrating stories.
:: biking when the sun is shining,


:: or tricycling as the case may be.
:: fish hat completed,
:: attending an amazing weekend arts festival against the pipeline- so powerful. Also farmers markets, parties, visits with friends- it just feels so busy!

I am amazed every year by how frenetic it gets around this time- I am sure this is true everywhere, but I do think it is heightened in the north where our warm months are shorter and our cold months so long. There is all the farm work and garden projects and  everyone coming out of hibernation and needing to do as much as possible out in the community while the light is long and the days are warm(ish) and we all have the energy for such things. We need that 6 months of winter to recuperate from the frenetic warmer months!

But I do love it- every bit of the busyness is made up of things that I love, and I feel blessed by the green and growing things and the freedom that the warmer months allows us, to spend so much of our time outside enjoying the beauty around us. It is a good life. 

Happy Monday friends.


10 comments:

  1. it looks so wonderful, everything. The fish hat rocks and all of your big projects look so interesting :-)I love the baby...no make that boy wearing picture of you two x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a couple of busy boys! I know the feeling you have of this time of the year. Most people have already gotten all their veggies in the ground and we still have to wait for a couple of weeks, but when that time comes we have to do everything in a few days. Its crazy! Potatoes, carrots, spinach... everything has to wait until the last minute since we are still getting frost at night. I love the fish hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good life, indeed dear Taisa!
    I love this post, so much here. That little 3 year old on your back. . . it just melts my heart. Three is still such a baby, really!
    I find myself taking many many photos of dandelions- they are so cheerful and pretty and happy. :) We are a couple of weeks ahead of you- our dandelions have gone to seed! Just as pretty though.
    Love to you, Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very full weeks indeed!
    Your photos are great, love the banana seat bike! (I had one too when I was little)
    Do you pick the dandelions? We were having a conversation about them this weekend how you can't eat them in urban areas because you never know if they have been sprayed. But yours look very wild! :o)
    These chilly June days has us wondering if we'll ever get everything planted. The seedlings in the window were drying out so quickly with those warm days and now they are starting to mold. :o( I can't believe that we still need the heat on and I'm wearing my down slippers!
    Let's all wish for some warmer weather!
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so remember the frenzy of the Northern spring. I felt like I was on cafeine all the time. So much to do, everybody is so busy. We want to do it all. Fast. It was almost too much for me this intense burst of energy. I think it is the earth's expanding energy that is affecting us in this way too... Enjoy! I love the fish hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! Love to see what you are up to. Feels the same way on our little island. Busy, busy, busy with so much to do outside (without neglecting what has to be done inside). Lots of social activities as well. We also still have some chilly weather in June and we are anxious to be able to plant everything. Love the fish hat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fish hat sister!

    ReplyDelete
  8. many june blessings sent your way, it is a busy time, yes!

    we are knee deep in all things soil and garden and farm and chicken and rooster.
    we work long days about now so my blog is sadly so behind, hoping to catch up soon. visit me on flickr though!

    i just desire the outdoors so much right now and can't stay in for long enough to write!

    your gardens will be fruitful this year i'm sure. right now the bees are in a frenzy in the two raspberry patches we have. it is a literal din of buzzing. peace to you, ~erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try to see the best in winter. Winter is cold and dark but it still gives us a opportunity to enjoy other aspects of life. You can get involved in more things in the community and you can spend more time inside playing board games with you kids. You can cook more. There is still lots of fun things you can do in the winter time.

    ReplyDelete