Friday, September 07, 2012


It was been a wonderfully busy and full first week for us. We are getting back into a daily rhythm, which has felt so good to all of us after all that dreamy expansive summer energy. Ari is just eating up the Grade 1 activities and begging for more, and Dorian is so keen to be right alongside his brother in most everything.

I made these crayon rolls for the boys to hold their new supplies, which were welcomed with much delight as up until now we've been using the same set of beeswax crayons that we got for Ari when he was a toddler. A set of shiny new crayons all set in a new case is rather an exciting gift!
I am starting a Language Arts block with Ari and this block will focus on introducing letters through stories from around the world. Ari is enjoying it so much, and for me after all these years of studying education, and Enki specifically, it is a thrill to be doing this together with my boy. 
Dori has been wanting to be part of it all too, of course- he has his own crayons and main lesson book and can join us as he feels he wants to. I am guessing the novelty will wear off, but for now he is an eager beaver. He isn't hearing the original telling of the stories (they are geared to the 6-7 year old, and would be too much for him at this point,) but he is hearing the recall of the story, where Ari and I work together to recount the events of the  story from the day before. So above is Dorian's drawing of "a witch with a pointy hat and the tower that Rapunzel stayed in" (she's hiding!). 

I have made a special storytime in the day for Dori and I, where we light a candle together and read from one of the storybook collections that we have that he is now ready for. These are some of my favorites too- Milly-Molly-Mandy, Alfie and Annie Rose, Brambly Hedge- and he is absolutely delighted to have this dedicated spot in the day for just him. And I love that moment of peace where we settle onto the couch together, light a candle, snuggle in and read a favorite story. Bliss.

And still, it is harvest time and the garden is full and there is much to do. We picked red currents and gooseberries and huckleberries and green beans and more raspberries and giant zucchini and I am puttering away at getting the food preserved.

And one of the best parts of being homeschoolers: playing with friends on hot late-summer days at the beach and having it all to ourselves!

Happy September to you all!

6 comments:

  1. I have LOADS of red currants and don't know what to do with them all! Tell me what your making of them, please! Nice to see you still have the weather, we lit our fire for the first time today. Its been cold (2 degrees) and wet all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria- this is my first year making anything from them so I just made a simple syrup for pancakes and such. I just cooked them -stems and all- until they were soft, pressed them through cheesecloth to remove the seeds and skins and stems (which the pigs thought were a great treat!) and sweetened it with honey and canned it in small jars. I think it is quite yummy! And I think we will be starting our first fire anyday now, as the weather seems to have turned- 10 degrees and wet over here!

      Delete
  2. Dear Taisa,
    Mio and I are once again home in Italy, safely tucked within Nathan's warm embrace. There are eggplants from the garden preserved in olive oil in the fridge and jars of beautiful malo-lactic fermented green and yellow beans sitting on the counter to admire. We are really enjoying the Preserving Food from the Terre Vivante book. Today we are picking our grapes and simply letting them dry in a cool and temperature steady place in our house.

    We think about and thank you for the delightful and nourishing visit with us in the Okanagan! You and your family are pure magic. I also want to thank you, Taisa, for sharing your incredible blog. Your words and photography are beautiful. Your quiet yet fierce and loving determination to give your children a life filled with peace, health, creativity, happiness and the opportunity to be their complete, original selves is both comforting and inspiring. I love to imagine how many beings are and will be positively affected, directly or indirectly, by your parenting.

    Affettuosamente,
    Beatrice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bea, thank you for your lovely words. I'm so glad to hear you and sweet Mio are home safe and sound. The visit with you two was pure joy! Such an amazing, blissful, sunshiney blur! I love thinking of you there, with your food tucked away (grapes and eggplant!)all cozied up together. Sending so much love to the three of you.

      Delete
  3. oh those are our favourite books too :-) we are loving Twig as well at the moment, have you read that and Tales from End Cottage :-) lovely pictures, love to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being a little kid and going to the lake. I loved to play in the sand and make sand castles. I had this boat with paddles which I would go in and I just had a great time. I like that the lake allows kids to be more creative. They can make sand castles and hang out with their friends and family. They get sunlight which is good for them. The lake is just really good for you.

    ReplyDelete