We've been out walking in the woods in the snow and it is lovely. Willa loves to gaze up at the trees and take it all in. The boys play long elaborate games in the woods. One day they were tigers. Today Ari was an arctic explorer and Dori was a pet monkey who liked to carry a giant (heavy) magic snowball around with him. We've been visiting our little creek, loving its beautiful burbling voice under the thin skin of ice. The littlest boy feels very brave to step over the rocks and cross it on his own.
and inside, there has been lots of good stuff too-
art making,

book reading (and Movember- oh my!)
sweet sweet sweetness-
learning,
knitting!
and creating. I'm in love with this homemade laptop (there are 9 other screen/ keyboard combos in his journal including a page of Mama, Papa and Willa on Skype!) This is e-mail. I love how kids that don't actually use the computers on their own yet, still pick up so much. Both boys spent so much time making and then playing with their computers.
a finished quilt,

and a really cute model,
who took me totally surprise when I placed her on the quilt on her back facing the other direction and then turned around to make myself a cup of tea and put some dishes away and turned back around to find her here! Things are really going to have to change around here fast! Note the scissors and small bits of chokey paper everywhere. Not pictured- marbles in every corner, playmobile bits scattered hither and thither, glass jars on low shelves, crayons and pebble collections and treasured projects in every corner of the house. But look at her. Isn't she awesome?
For Ari's grade two homeschool we have started a new Sage/trickster humanities unit and cultural block and are loving it. We are working with Harriet Tubman's story, and cultural studies around it- listening to African American music and learning dances in circle time, making a shadow puppet plays of the Brer rabbit stories, and really sinking into the story of Harriet's life over a few weeks. This has been both wonderful and difficult for me- her story is so heavy, but so inspiring, and it is not easy for me to bring the reality of such injustice as slavery to my little boy. Yet, I can feel it really touching him on a deep level and I trust the wisdom of the Enki philosophy. This is a good thing. Just for the joy of watching my boy make connections for himself- that verse we started in circle is actually about Harriet herself, and that song we heard Mavis Staples sing on our Cd is the same one Harriet herself sang, and she too ate food like we are cooking, and heard the same Brer Rabbit tales we heard- he is just thrilled to tie it all together. Walking this journey together is such a gift.
And Dori joins us for the parts that work for a 5 year old- the dances, the crafts- and I read the stories to Ari when Dori is listening to his quiet time story. He has his kindy stories that we read together that he loves. And Willa- she loves the dances most of all. We put her in the highchair and bop around the living room and she waves her arms and grins at us. Fun for all.











Oh! Sweet little Willa! My Northern girls are quite happy about the snow too (especially after two years away in warmer climates!). I must say that I struggle a bit, but am trying to see it through their eyes...
ReplyDeleteThanks Catherine! And yes, I have to work a little at it too. Especially in March!
DeleteOh Taisa, that sweet, sweet little fairy girl face! And I think she looks like her Mama, you pretty lady. :) And it is always so monumental when they begin to move around!
ReplyDeleteHarriet Tubman, yes- such an inspiring story there, and yes so dificult. I have been planning to work with Winter this year about the Underground Railroad. We have a great Harriet Tubman biography for kids, and two other books: "If you Traveled on the Underground Railroad," and "The Last Safe House: A Story of the Underground Railroad."
Such a pretty quilt. :)
My 6 year old spent some time knitting this week too. He's so cute- he's had the same project going since last year- about 16 rows of garter stitch. :)
HUGS Mel
Thanks Mel! And thanks for the book recommendations, I will take a look at them. Ari has great plans for his knitting, but we'll see where they get!
DeletePS my boys make laptops too! LOVE!
ReplyDelete:)
DeleteMy girls make paper/cardboard computers too! I loooove your quilt!!! Your sweet baby girl is already moving! Wow! My little Sacha is really into mischief these days... Such an explorer!
ReplyDeleteI love that there are all these little paper computers out there! So cute. I think I have sort of forgotten how much you have to change a home around for a little one. We've just slowly adapted to having big kids!
DeleteDear Taisa...Those little souls that surround you are just so stinkin' cute!!! And oh my, Willa! She's beginning to try and keep up to those two boys. Yes, we are another computer-making family. Long before I even used a computer, my big boy was making his own laptop out of cardboard that he'd cart around and pull up a chair for his "office". No idea where that came from. Then, he has a wooden block he attached a string to for an Ipod. Really. I just got my first Ipod two months ago, and my big boy has had one for about five years already. A funny generation these ones are a part of. Your quilt is gorgeous...we must talk quilting, too, one day. I love love love quilting. And sewing. And knitting. And all the rest. Lots of love from our mountains to yours! xo Jules
ReplyDeleteOh that moment when they take you by surprise and start moving, a wonderful day :)
ReplyDeleteI so enjoy coming to this peaceful spot. The quilt is beautiful too.
ReplyDeleteWarm wishes,
Tonya
The quilt turned out beautifully! I can't believe how big that girl of yours is getting. It sounds like you've really found a wonderfully nurturing homeschooling groove.
ReplyDeleteLovely post sister. That sweet girl is getting so big! Just want to smooch her up. Love the Movember pic too:) You are lucky, Perry manages to avoid the convict look that Jer has going on. A co-worker told him that she can't look at him because he creeps her out...
ReplyDelete