Saturday, March 17, 2007

sleepless but with a plan

This is what is occupying my thoughts these past few days. How to get Ari to sleep. I am reaching the point of sleep deprivation where I cannot construct full sentences and I have a hard time doing much of anything. But we have a plan. The no-cry sleep solution is my ray of hope. And I love how this little file card's smudgy typing and scrawled notes capture the hope and desperation of the situation. Sorry no pictures today. Too much effort. Going to bed now.

7 comments:

  1. Awwwww, I wish you the very best of luck - sending sleep vibes to Ari....

    I have been where you are with my middle son Kale. There is no feeling like being sleep deprived and still having to be the mama you need to be. It's insanity in the making.

    The nice thing is, even a night or two of half decent sleep I've found helps to recharge me just enough to feel 'slightly' normal again, so I'm wishing that you'll get at least that, very soon.

    This too shall pass.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you manage to get the sleep routine sorted! I can't imagine anything worse than being sleep deprived!!

    I loved that your date had all those additional zeros.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that not sleeping is the pits. Hopefully Pantly will help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. another sleep depirved mother here. wishing you luck with it. have you tried dr jay gordon's nightweaning method? my afternoon naps are what keep me sane right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the encouragment... and I never even noticed the extra zeros, but I think it underlines the point. Sometimes it does feel like I've been doing this for a thousand years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know just how you feel! My 1st baby slept badly for 2,5 years, day AND night. Sleep deprivation can get to the point of being dangerous. Luckily I don't drive, but e.g. once I took him for a forest walk when he was around one. I was horribly tired, I put him down on the ground and kept staring at the trees half asleep. When I looked down I realized he was eating lilies of the valley, which are poisonous! I didn't sleep the following night either because I was certain he had a poisoning. (He didn't - apparently you have to eat 8 leaves to get sick.)

    By the time he learned to sleep through the night at 2,5 years I was already heavily pregnant and couldn't sleep because of another lively baby in my tummy. And then we had another baby, who still, at 13 months, doesn't know how to sleep. So, I haven't slept for about 4 years! Once I was so tired when someone asked my baby's name on the train I couldn't remember it!

    With our first baby we tried everything, but nothing worked - except him spending the night at his gradparents' every once in a while so that we could sleep. We also took turns, my husband and me, once I didn't breastfeed anymore.

    So remember to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done well to read the book - I always left it/still leave it until I am too tired to focus - and then there is no plan, just the trusty foetal position! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete