Having my in laws here is amazing. They insist on cooking our meals, doing our dishes and just generally being an incredible help. When Ari goes down for his nap (which has been a wonderful 2-3 hours lately,) there is nothing whatsoever to do but to head to the craft room. It's like going on a holiday at home.I had been planning on fancy-ing up some of Ari's shirts (read: cover ugly stains on second hand tops,) but I didn't have a definitive plan until I saw angrychicken's post and then I hopped right into action. And oh, what fun! This bird one is my favorite, the fabric makes me even more giddy now that it is on my little one, and he loves birds these days, so he thinks its pretty sweet himself. The drum comes in close second, with a family full of drummers and Ari's love of drumming on just about any flat surface, it seems appropriate. I'll be making more with the squares of fabric as I got a stack of pre-cut quilt squares from a woman cleaning out her stash, so I don't even have to cut first.

I think I'll make some teeny ones next (maybe on some onsies that are not full of ugly stains) for the upcoming baby boom around here. Maybe with matching linen pants if I'm feeling very brave. I found the softest loveliest linen today and I know it needs to get turned into baby pants, but I'm not sure I trust my sewing ability enough to make them as gifts just yet. I'm having troubles with the seams giving way on the ones I made my boy. Sometimes I feel like there must be some secret society of people who sew that I never got to join where all the great wisdom on how to sew buttonholes and keep the bums of pants from giving way is bestowed upon the fortunate. Maybe my invitation is in the mail. In the meantime I'll happily keep sewing pre-cut fabric squares onto pre-made clothing for every baby in sight.
those are beautiful! I love the bird one too- very sweet. I've not tried that applique method before, but you've inspired me to give it a go.
ReplyDeleteI know just what you mean about a suspected secret society of sewers, I've often wondered about that before. I think probably one's membership is gained by lots of practice, and trial-and-error! That's what I'm hoping, anyway. :)
I can't remember what fabric the pants were made from, but if they were knit, you might need to use a stretch stitch.
ReplyDeleteIf not, make sure you backstitch at the beginning and end of each line of stitching and set your stitch length to about 2.5 to make it tighter.
These are so cute! I will need to look at Angry Chicken's post!! The baby boom here is starting! I've just had dinner at my friend Isabel's house - she is due to go to the hospital to be induced tomorrow because her baby is now 9 days overdue - and according to the midwife - doesn't need to be inside anymore as it (OK we know it's a she) is just getting fatter!!
ReplyDeleteHappy crafting!
Cute shirts! Cute baby!
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to try this on Asher's shirts for months. It looks great!
ReplyDeleteAnd enjoy your family time. It sounds wonderful.
Sounds like you have fantastic in laws; how wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHi, I was going to say make your stitch length closer together too or sew another line close to the first one for extra strength.
ReplyDelete