
I finished a little
gnomey hat for Ari yesterday. He was in need of a warm wintry hat, and it feels so good to complete something while surrounded in endless unfinished projects that are outside of my control. I got the wool from the new wool shop opening up in town- such a beautiful new shop filled with delicious goodies, a treat after the mostly cheap acrylic options that have been available till now. The pattern (that I love!) knitted in this yarn makes me think of the ocean- merfolk or little ocean gnomes- the kind that eat sea foam icing on their berry desserts and row around on tide pools in cedar bark canoes.

My little gnome is such fun these days, picking up words faster than I can keep track. Today he said under ("unie",) butter, pineapple ("p-apple") and sticky ("tickietickietickie") to list a few. Hearing his little voice trying out words is so sweet, and I feel a funny mix of celebration and sadness as my little babe becomes a little boy.

And the house is coming along, but there is still such a long way to go. I can't seem to keep up with the photos, there is currently a second story and a roof here, and the front door is on. Next is electrical, then us putting in insulation and vapour barrier. After that the drywallers come, we paint, the floor installer fellow puts down the floor, we sand and finish it, and t h e n we can think about moving back in. This weekend I will be sanding and finishing the stairs so all the workers don't mess up the lovely beetle-wood pine we have down. It is exciting though, to stand in the upstairs (we've never had an upstairs before!) and see the views and know that this is going to be our home. For a good long time if we have our way.
Wow - that middle photo is beautiful - he does look like a magical little creature!
ReplyDeleteLove that hat :)
ReplyDeleteDid you put in lining? Doesn't it make him itch? It looks so "woolly". But it's very pretty!
ReplyDeleteI didn't line it, and it is pretty wooly, but I chose it in large part because the wool seemed nice and soft. He doesn't seemed bothered by it- in fact, he gets mad when I take it off!
ReplyDeleteHe is so cute. I love the gnome imagery! And those words! So sweet. Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteI love that hat! You have a seriously cute gnome in the family.
ReplyDeleteThe hat is great - Ari look so cute in it! I am glad that your house is progressing so fast! I can't wait to see it finished!
ReplyDeleteoh my- i am in love with that gnomey hat! (i think it could be your gorgeous photos convincing me i need to knit one). i am off to learn more about the pattern now.
ReplyDeleteand your little house looks wonderful! i hope the sanding work isn't too arduous for you.
That hat is very sweet! I love the warm pants from your earlier post too.
ReplyDeletehey, a door is a big step! You've got us beat :) We're hoping to wrap our place this weekend and then start putting in the windows and doors.