
This is the time of year that we really feel the dark of winter up here in the north. There are so few daylight hours and it is harder to get up in the morning (not for Ari, but for the rest of us,) and it feels like bedtime right after supper (not for Ari, but for the rest of us.) We have a morning ritual of saying good morning to the day, and Ari loves this, he points at the window saying "day! day!" well before it looks anything like day out there. We say hi to the mountains and trees and sky and gardens and hay fields and road whether we can see them or not, and then we peek out the window periodically to watch the light come into the sky and the sun rise higher. Ari has a little perch that he climbs up on to watch the day, and he calls out his hellos "hi dardan" (garden) "hi no" (snow.)

And Sammy says hi too, though he is a little embarrassed about his current hair situation. He has a lovely mohair fringe at the front, but is completely bald everywhere else and the process of giving him hair (is "hairing" a verb? I'm just "hairing" the doll? He is being "haired?") is a rather time consuming process. But he makes me smile whenever I pull him out from his hiding place to work on him, and I just know Ari is going to love him. Next up, clothing. I'm not totally sure what kind of clothes Sammy will like- jeans and a t-shirt? Overalls? Sweater vest?
Hello to the day!! It was a beautiful pink sky this morning when I opened the curtains!
ReplyDeleteI love Sammy the doll - he looks great! I spent yesterday adding "grass" to a lump of needlefelt to make a grassy pincushion! I can imagine "hairing" is much the same process.....and yes it was time-consuming. I think that you have the face of Sammy perfectly formed! I think also that an entire wardrobe of clothes is called for!!
oh, sammy is looking great! good job!
ReplyDelete(you guys need a 'good morning, moon' book instead of good night! :)
Sammy is looking terrific!
ReplyDeleteJack likes it when his Timmy wears clothes like his. Right now he has had on zip up jammies for ages.
I know exactly what you mean. I am exhausted by 7 p.m. because my body thinks it's been dark long enough, I should be in bed! But sadly, this is when school gets tougher - papers due, exams coming. I feel I'm working against my body and I don't like it. Sammy looks incredible, and I love that you say hello to the day. I might need to do that myself!
ReplyDeletesammy is gorgeous!
ReplyDeletethat sky photo just makes me want to hop in the car and keep driving north...this time of yr is magical but it's harder to feel here in a city in CA.
Your doll looks so great. I remember from making Jacob's doll so many years ago how hard the hair was! I never did make more than one outfit for him--I found that boys aren't really into changing doll clothes. He played with him a lot, though.
ReplyDeleteSammy is so cute!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on both your sewing, and how the home is going.
Your Waldorf doll is really coming along - can't wait until I see Sammy finished.
ReplyDelete