We're fighting another darn headcold in this house, and so we are sticking close to home, pulling lots of toys off the shelves, and reading books by the fire. We've had a combination of rain and snow that makes playing outside a little cold and soggy, but we've managed to keep busy. Ari could play in the sink for hours and pulls the kitchen chairs over as soon as the tap is turned on.
And during Ari's naps I am working on a waldorf doll for him. I am really enjoying putting it together, though I see why people charge what they do for them, it is quite a process! I have been looking at Bamboletta's dolls for awhile- I think they are incredible- and I wanted to buy one for Ari as his Christmas/Solstice gift, but she isn't taking orders currently. I still would love to have one of these beauties (for Ari, of course,) but I figured I would try to make a waldorf-style doll for him myself. It wont be as perfectly made, but it will be stuffed full of love along with the lambswool. I ordered the pattern and materials from Weir Dolls and after a few blisters and pinpokes, it is starting to come together. All the body pieces are pinned (it feels a little odd to have doll bits around- and sewing the head together felt oddly surgical.)
I forgot to hide it away when Ari woke up today, and he caught sight of it and went crazy. He ran towards it saying "baby! baby!" and wanted to hug it and carry it around, despite all those pins. At least I know he'll like it, but I probably wont be able to wait until the holidays to give it to him. Not that he knows the difference anyway.
I keep thinking about all the things I could make to go with it- a blanket, a sweater, a hammock, a sling, Ari and dolly matching PJ's- this natural toy/homemade goody obsession is like a sickness sometimes.
I can't wait to see the finished little "baby" with Ari carrying him/her around! I think it would be great to make lots of things for them! I had home made bunk beds as a child and I think I still have the bedding that went with them - black and whit gingham comforters and 1970s patterned sheets! Bunk beds were fun!! (Just to add something else to your obsession!)
ReplyDeleteI look foward to seing it finished too, I didn't know you could buy patterns to make your own. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the finished doll :)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the finished doll! Did you buy a pattern or are you freehanding it? Looks great so far.
ReplyDeleteThat doll is going to be well-loved for many many years. I can't wait to see the finished baby and his gear.
ReplyDelete