Thursday, November 22, 2007

a little brighter

I needed a day like this, where the sun shines through the grey and the air sparkles and the light is so bright it hurts, but it burns away the gloom. This last little stretch has been a tough one- we have been pulling late nights trying to get things done in the house after the babe is asleep, painting and cleaning drywall dust and moving things to be ready for the floors. This crunch time has coincided with my parents being away (they never go away. ever.) so childcare is out, which means we are trading off constantly trying to get the work done. So there are no breaks from childcare or working in the house, no time together as a couple or a family, and any moment we do have together is found talking over the baby's head trying to make decisions about construction. It is exhausting and unsustainable, but that is not what this post is about. This post is about this beautiful day that has made me feel better and helped me remember that I am blessed, even if I am busy and tired. I mean, look at these little feet in the snow! And this view. I feel so lucky to be here on this land with my beautiful loves, and I know that all this craziness will soon pass. And even as we are in the midst of it all, there is so many moments that make me catch my breath with their wonder and sweetness. Like Ari learning so much so fast, trying out so many words, saying "it's hea-by" (heavy) as he carries around the firewood, and "happy!" when he snuggles on my lap.
Or putting the last coat of paint on our soon-to-be-bedroom walls and looking out the dust-fogged window at a glorious pink sky and realizing that we now have a window we can watch the sunsets from, and imagining all the nights we will watch the sky change through that very window.
And the pond that has frozen smooth enough to skate on (but not so smooth that it is a hazard for toddlers in boots!) and the neighbours that spent the morning shovelling it off in preparation for their skating party tomorrow night (we will be celebrating American thanksgiving here too, with our American neighbour-friends,) and the cobbler baking in the oven made from the last of the local plums, and my sweet husband who notices things I've left over at the other house he thinks I've been missing- my hand cream, some clothing- and leaves them for me- better than any bouquet of flowers.
And our friends that called when they heard our flooring contractor had backed out of the job to say "How about we come this weekend and put in the floor together?" We really are blessed. And the forecast calls for more sun tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Of all the lives I read about in blogs, yours is set against a natural background that is the furthest away from mine. I just love the contrast and your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - the house is coming together and it is so nice to read about all the good things happening. I am so sure that all the hard work is going to be worth it and can't wait to see the finished article!

    Nature = the view from your home is just fantastic - I love those cold crisp sunny days - it's always how I hope Christmas will be since we never get snow at Christmas and it is so sad if the sky is grey and it's raining!

    I am glad that Ari is having fun and hope the skating party went well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are about to undertake a lot of construction too, and these are the same things I am worried about. Especially with a four month old that keeps up hoppin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this was a good post. It warmed me, and I needed that. Thanks. (your view is beautiful... your friends are precious, and your baby is a dear)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally hear you on all counts! Stress and craziness and unsustainability (did I just make up a word again??)... and beauty and blessings and wonder :). I'm looking forward to (desperately hoping for?) a calm peaceful winter, tucked up with my little ones hearth side. I'm hoping for the same for you!

    I can't wait to see you place all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post! Good luck getting it all done. It will be so worth it. I admire your great attitude. And those baby feet are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack, the stress of doing big projects with a little one around and no help--it is so hard! But what a gift to take time to focus on the uplifting thinds--and these photos are so gorgeous!! It's making me long for the rural northern winters I had as a child. (And will have again soon after my husband finishes school next year. yay! )

    I hope you enjoyed your parties, and happy snuggles!

    ReplyDelete